Author Topic: To the Moon on Linux (Steam + wine)  (Read 10381 times)

sulix

• Tier 2
To the Moon on Linux (Steam + wine)
« on: September 08, 2012, 11:02:30 PM »
I've managed to get the Steam version of To the Moon running on Linux under wine. What a brilliant game!

Somehow, reading the 'To the Moon.rgssad' file doesn't work properly under wine, so I've written a program to extract everything from it.

Basically, if you download: http://sulix.ucc.asn.au/stuff/ttm_unpack.c, then compile it and run it within the game directory, it'll extract all of the game datafiles. You then just need to delete or rename 'To the Moon.rgssad', and the game will run. There are still a couple of minor issues, but the game is perfectly playable.

This didn't work on the demo when I tried it (the DRM was also stopping wine from working), but it might work on some of the other versions. Hopefully there'll eventually be a native Linux port, but this should tide us over for the meantime.

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
Re: To the Moon on Linux (Steam + wine)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 12:31:39 AM »
This is great news actually. I never managed to run the sole game on Wine. The program is missing crucial .dll and because of that it doesn't work under Wine. We'll definitely look at this further thanks for the note and the file. ^^

Would you please add your linux distribution? Thanks.
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

sulix

• Tier 2
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 02:01:03 AM »
I didn't have any missing DLL problems: though that could just be Steam installing them for me.

I'm running Arch Linux, but I don't think distribution should matter much --- I'll try it out on another distro when I next get the chance.

I hope my program helps; it's not an ideal solution, but it's given me the ability to play the game (about as well as it ran on Windows), so it's better than nothing.

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 04:18:25 AM »
It's cool.

To put this simply the game engine of To The Moon RMXP is program with major issues on WINEs homepage (Bronze Category) so up until now we didn't knew how or if it will ever work. ^^ I'll try the thing out the first time I can. :)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 04:20:49 AM by Lance D. Stone »
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

tpapastylianou

• Tier 1
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 05:57:01 PM »
Hi Sulix!
Mad props and many thanks for your awesome fix!

I can confirm this made the game playable for me!
Slight issue I had was that a couple of files had the wrong encoding and the game complained; I renamed them to remove the bad characters and everything was fine.

Game plays perfectly!
(On Linux Mint 32bit, game bought at IndieRoyale bundle as standalone (i.e. not playing through Steam)).

I had a look at your code ... I couldn't figure out how you got that information on how to decrypt ... care to share? :D
Thanks again!

sulix

• Tier 2
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 08:52:46 AM »
Glad it works!

I've put a basic tutorial on how to use this up on my website: http://davidgow.net/hacks/ttm_unpack.html. It still requires some basic knowledge (how to compile things), but it should be a bit nicer than just linking a c file!

The encoding issue is not entirely surprising: the game doesn't need to worry about the system encoding if it's just loading from the packfile. I might get around to doing some locale hackery later, but it's not much fun!

As for how I worked it out: lots of reverse-engineering. A google showed that it was xor-based, and from there it was staring at disassembly and trying things. In theory it should work for everything RPG Maker XP based, so ideally it should work for the sequel as well!

GamingPoint

• Tier 2
    • Gaming Point
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 06:43:28 AM »
Worked perfectly for me thanks alot for this fix.
Check out my guide: Storytelling in Games

Ancurio

• Tier 5
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 06:01:07 AM »
Hi sulix!

Based on ttm_unpack.c, I have written...... ttm_pack.c! :D
Basically the reverse operation, packing files and folders into a "Game.rgssad".

Here's the source: http://ancurio.bplaced.net/stuff/ttm_pack.c

Tikilou

• Tier 2
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 02:03:29 PM »
Hi sulix!

Based on ttm_unpack.c, I have written...... ttm_pack.c! :D
Basically the reverse operation, packing files and folders into a "Game.rgssad".

Here's the source: http://ancurio.bplaced.net/stuff/ttm_pack.c

Thanks for that, we can mod to the moon now !  :)

Anything new about MKXP for launch To the moon on linux natively ? :fezesarecool:

Ancurio

• Tier 5
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 03:05:16 PM »
Anything new about MKXP for launch To the moon on linux natively ? :fezesarecool:

Shhh! Soon...

Edit: I was planning to release something last week actually, but got sick =X Hopefully this week..
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 10:54:14 PM by Ancurio »

* Recent Media