Author Topic: Cef's Costume Tips  (Read 1833 times)

Cef

Cef's Costume Tips
« on: June 21, 2012, 07:41:36 PM »
FIRST THREAD LOL

Wassup guys? Need any tips and questions about costume making and prop making? Got a cosplay you can't figure out?

Here's your thread! sorta

Basically you can request tips and tricks to costume and prop making. Since my family and I tend to turn costume making into family bonding activities, I got a ton of little tips to make your costumes sturdier/more awesome~

I'd occasionally link to comprehensive tutorials from around the web I find useful, so stay tuned!
And furthermore...

HATS! :hatsale!: :mimihat:

(click to show/hide)

Tumbles

Re: Cef's Costume Tips
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 09:55:17 PM »
Hey, good idea for a thread! I can see it coming in handy, especially around halloween time. :)

(click to show/hide)

Cef

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 11:30:37 PM »
TBH, as a cosplayer and a cosplay fan, I tend to like collecting tips and spreading the word about them. It's just amazing how the most complicated-looking costumes are actually pretty simple if you have the know-how. And the feeling of accomplishment you get when you make your own costume? Pretty awesome.
And furthermore...

(click to show/hide)

Avarlie

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 04:48:38 AM »
What are you working on at the moment Cef?

Cef

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 07:04:10 AM »
Nothing right now, still saving up for a Chell cosplay.

But I've done a couple Homestuck cosplays, and helped make my little sister's Kingdom Hearts cosplay at one point. Plus a few Halloween costumes with my aunt and mom.

Just a bit of a heads up (and shameless self promotion *dead*)
And furthermore...

(click to show/hide)

Avarlie

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 08:40:30 AM »
Did you make a keyblade?

Cef

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 09:32:11 AM »
Yusyus, the Kingdom Key. I also know how to make some of the other Keyblades as well =3
And furthermore...

(click to show/hide)

Tumbles

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 01:54:29 PM »
AWESOME. :o

Back when I was young I always wanted a kingdom key. XD

(click to show/hide)

Merlandese

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 03:14:09 PM »
AWESOME. :o

Back when I was young I always wanted a kingdom key. XD

Fixed that for you, Tumbles. :)

--------
My original compositions on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Merlandese c:
--------

Tumbles

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 05:01:25 PM »
You know me too well, old friend.  :reivsweat:

(click to show/hide)

Cef

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 12:30:17 AM »
Soooooooooooo...

Kingdom Key tutorial anyone?
And furthermore...

(click to show/hide)

Tumbles

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 02:07:42 AM »
I'd love one if it's not too much trouble. :) I need a project over the holidays.

(click to show/hide)

Cef

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 05:17:15 AM »
Aight, here it is! I can't remember the exact measurements of the materials anymore, since my aunt and I just made it up as we went. But TBH, methinks this is a bit better, to make allowances for people's heights during creation. Who knows, maybe you can make a tiny one for a 5-year-old kid on Halloween =P

Materials:

Illustration board
Some cardboard
PVC pipe
Black rubber strip made for gripping
Spray paint (silver and gold)
Chain (from a crafts store)
Masking tape
Some paper mache strips (optional)
A small-ish length of wire
A saw

So first off, we cut a PVC pipe about 2 1/2 feet (you can make it longer or shorter depending on your height, but this remains a good length for most people =3) with a saw. Then we used it as a 'base' of sorts to measure out the main parts of the 'key', like the bow-like handle and the blade. Remember to 'cut' the handle in half along the pipe. You can use templates from the internet for this part, or you can make your own template. But more or less, proportions are as follows: the 'bow' should be around one-third of the whole weapon, while the 'blade' of the 'key' should be one-third of the remaining space. Another thing to remember is that the ideal length of the handle allows for two hands to grip it without hitting the sides of the guard.

Also don't forget to make the Mickey-head~

Now that we have the handle and the blade sketched out, we cut two pairs from the handle-halves and the blade in illustration board, and then cut a third batch from the cardboard. Basically, we sandwich the cardboard between the illustration board slices, then tape the whole thing to the pipe. You can 'pad' the insides of the handle to make it taper away from the pipe if you want at this step, but it depends on your tastes. My aunt and I didn't pad it when we made ours, so yeah. Plug the ends of the pipe with leftover illustration board (The top 'plug' should have a tiny hole punched through it and a wire looped so your chain has something to hold on to), and add two strips of illustration board along the top and bottom parts of the handle where it meets the pipe. You can look at a picture of the key for reference if you want at this step to make sure it's accurate =3 Then we taped the whole thing down with near-liberal amounts of masking tape, both to hold the whole thing together and to 'mask' the loose ends and gaps.

Paper mache is optional at this point, but if you want a 'clean' look, and are a bit worried about the tape coming off, I suggest only a light layer covering of paper mache on the handle and the blade. You don't want this too heavy, of course.

So after the taping, or letting the paper mache dry, we then start with the painting. Put some tape just below the bow-handle in a single, thick-ish strip. It's fine if you accidentally paint the pipe part of the handle itself, since we're gonna put the rubber grip there later. So go nuts with the spray paint~! Of course, it's gold on the handle, and silver on the blade, unless you're making Mickey's Reverse Key. Don't forget to paint your Mickey-head keychain as well!

After it's dried, remove the tape below the handle, and attach the rubber grip with some rubber glue on the pipe part of the handle.

DON'T USE SUPER GLUE. SERIOUSLY. Rubber + super glue = BAD.

Now all that's left is punching a hole through the Mickey-head keychain, and attaching the chain to it and the top of your newly-minted Keyblade!

Of course, this Keyblade's sturdy enough to take more than a few hits, but take care to make sure the handle and blade don't get too detached!

(ours is a few years old at this point and we just patch it up a bit every now and then. but tbh we don't fight with it much >X D)
And furthermore...

(click to show/hide)

Tumbles

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 06:05:18 AM »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o Awesome!!  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Those are some solid instructions, and now I have a fun holiday project! XD

Any chance at all of getting a picture of yours?  ;D

(click to show/hide)

Cef

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 07:29:16 AM »
TBH all this is from what I remember during the creation of the whole thing, so there might be some slight errors, but I'm pretty good at remembering how to build things I build =3

You can use rubber glue/glue gun/any other sturdy adhesive BUT super glue to hold the parts together, iirc, but you still need the masking tape to go over the gaps so that the painted version is neater-looking, that much I'm sure of =D

Well, the one we made is in the attic, so I might have to dig it out. Why, you ask? To compare how it looks then and how it looks now, it's pretty freaking sturdy! >XD

ALSO.

BE WARNED.

I have a near-obsessive love for the creative uses of different kinds of adhesive tapes. So nearly every prop I'll be talking about that I made with my own hands would have generous amounts of masking tape in its instructions :v
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 07:32:00 AM by Cef »
And furthermore...

(click to show/hide)

* Recent Media

Eva Rosalene Chibi

Views: 512
Posted by: Anime_Stars
in: To the Moon
Neil Watts Chibi

Views: 477
Posted by: Anime_Stars