Author Topic: serious about making an rm2k game  (Read 2611 times)

psae

• Tier 2
serious about making an rm2k game
« on: March 01, 2012, 06:02:11 PM »
Hello everyone
heres the backstory; about 6-7 years ago I used to make games using rm2k, and although I never finished a game I made some pretty interesting 'demos' . I have since used flash to make a few games, and upon finding that 'to the moon' both uses rm2k and is sold, it inspired me to want to give rm2k another shot for making a game.

Since those days ago when i used to make games there now multiple versions; rm2k, rm2k3 rmxP etc

and i am confused at which would be the best to make my game in. I know rm2k inside out, but i am concerned that Its difficult to sell games made with it as you dont have a license for it.
I have done a bit of research on XP and VX , but I dont know the 'ruby programming language' so my choices are limited to rm2k, rm2k3 and XP.

what would be the best choice for me? I intend for the game to either be sold (like too the moon is (but at a lower price)) or included as a bonus on music CD's.

any help is greatly appreciated,
PS. also which version was 'to the moon' made using?

Question Mark

• 疑問符の人
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
Re: serious about making an rm2k game
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 06:49:20 PM »
1. You don't really need to know Ruby to make a game. But it will come very handy if you want to customize your game to some extent.
2. To the Moon is on RMXP, not RM2K.
3. I'm not sure if you can sell games made on RM2K and RM2K3. On RMXP and RMVX (and the upcoming RMVX Ace), you can.

mepwnn

• いつまでも
  • Tier 7
  • profile picture courtesy of Silentgears
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 07:15:05 PM »
It's better if you know some Ruby knowledge for RMXP, but as ?er said, it's not required. Rather, you'd better be willing to spend time to either create your own graphics and/or music. Either that, or hire a composer/graphics designer.

RM2k and RM2k3 aren't really my favorites because of how... strange they are in comparison to RMXP. RMXP and RMVX are you best options now, because their custom resource community is probably the most active (bias showing here) still, so it'd be easier to request things like graphics, music, etc.
The pros and cons of RMXP and RMVX are as follows:
RMXP
  • Pro: Virtually limitless resource database
  • Pro: Wide variety of tilesets (granted, they aren't the best, but they're good for beginner users)
  • Pro: Very useful layer system
  • Side note: Looks more serious than RMVX
  • Con: VERY STEEP learning curve
  • Con: Default scripts aren't very exciting (no face sets, custom dialogue, custom menu systems, etc.)
  • Con: Bad music, but it's not the worst

RMVX:
  • Pro: Simple, easy to use
  • Pro: Better for casual looking games
  • Pro: Message system that normally required a custom script
  • Pro: Easier to make world maps
  • Con: Very limited resources (4 pre-made tilesets, 1 limited blank tileset, pre-made icon sheet)
  • Con: Difficult to import custom resources (strict character and face sheets)
  • Con: Boring maps. Seriously, four tilesets can only do so much, and also, no layering! So much for my tower!
  • Con: Boring battle system
  • Con: Terrible pre-made music. Much worse than RMXP (which is pretty bad, but has some good ones)

TL;DR - RMXP is more powerful than RMVX. RMVX is more... accessible to new users.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 07:24:31 PM by mepwnn »
Portals... must capture... ALL the portals... (click image to enlarge)

Question Mark

• 疑問符の人
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 07:22:39 PM »
RMXP requires some Ruby knowledge as well, but as ?er said, it's not required.
  :whaaa?:

mepwnn

• いつまでも
  • Tier 7
  • profile picture courtesy of Silentgears
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 07:24:03 PM »
Oops
Portals... must capture... ALL the portals... (click image to enlarge)

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 07:27:51 PM »
All of that is too complicated. That's why I make my video game ideas out of LEGOs first. If it works for Notch, it can work for all of us.

psae

• Tier 2
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 11:02:40 PM »
wow thanks everyone, some really great information! I think im going to use XP then, as i'll be using mostly original graphics (made myself) . (and its slightly cheaper...) Its not going to be a 'conventional' RPG so most of the features in this aspect won't be used much (if at all) so im mainly after the ability to create maps, dialogue and events etc.

pletar

• Tier 2
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 12:10:02 AM »
Just to let you know, they're releasing an update to VX called RMVX Ace. I know this addresses some graphics/resources problems, but I don't know how powerful it is.

Judedeath

• ~Insert Japanese things here~
  • Tier 7
  • JOHN-PEE-AIR!
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 12:20:53 AM »
All of that is too complicated. That's why I make my video game ideas out of LEGOs first. If it works for Notch, it can work for all of us.

LEGO'S PAH My Video Game Ideas are made out of Imagination first!
Old River was as dead as a doornail, this must be distinctly understood or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am about to relate.

psae

• Tier 2
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 06:33:51 PM »
Just to let you know, they're releasing an update to VX called RMVX Ace. I know this addresses some graphics/resources problems, but I don't know how powerful it is.

I read about vx ace, but for the time being i think XP will be sufficient (also with the pricetag being lower i can easily afford it ^^)

I downloaded the 30day trial today and after a couple of days testing it, and seeing how i get on, I will purchase the full version

* Recent Media

x-mas art

Views: 384
Posted by: cydriex
in: Freebird Games - Fan Works
For River

Views: 640
Posted by: Animefox
in: To the Moon