Episode 1: To the Moon > To the Moon - Discussions

<spoiler> Please, why ruin the metaphor?

(1/25) > >>

felipepepe:
So, I finished TtM this weekend and gotta say I was really loving it on the start. The humour is stupid and sometimes get in the way of the story, but that didn't bother me much. I was enjoying the couple's life, a nice mix of good & bad momments, that as the scientist said, "should be lived one momment at a time".

But them it gets ugly...The whole "going to the moon" was supposed to be a metaphor IMHO, a way for Johnny to remeber who he really is and be again the boy that understood River. I can picture a scene of her showing him the bunny and him saying that he see's the Moon, just like when they were little. That would be subtle and beatifull, would have made me cry.

I simply cannot understand why the autor decided to ruin the game by LITERALLY going to the Moon! A couple that loves each other would try to remain together at all cost, so why sacrificing YEARS of relationship just to literaly fullfill a metaphor? And why ressurect his brother? Instead of going for a deep & mature ending, it's just "magical science saves the day"!

I got seriously pissed off by this! I don't want a refund or nothing like that, just to understand why the author decided to do this...

Just Lance:
I'll also answer you IMHO ;) Don't worry it's not a waterfall of insults. :)
Well that's a good point but you're looking at it for the point of human. The machine doesn't have that kind of "imagination" to create a possibility like this. Yes Eva and Neil could modify it but that would take time and time is exactly what they lack in this kind of "business".
Also maybe they did sacrificed the years of his real life, but they created a whole new life where was John and River who end up together so they spend all those years in relationship anyway.
But that's my personal opinion as that one above is yours.

SenorKaffee:
If you have a look at this thread, there is someone that has similar problems with the finale as you do.
http://freebirdgames.com/forum/index.php?topic=3671.0

felipepepe:

--- Quote from: Lance D. Stone on January 03, 2012, 12:07:23 PM ---Well that's a good point but you're looking at it for the point of human. The machine doesn't have that kind of "imagination" to create a possibility like this. Yes Eva and Neil could modify it but that would take time and time is exactly what they lack in this kind of "business".
--- End quote ---
Sorry, but I can't see how 'technical limitation' can be an issue when they raised a dead brother from the grave and created a whole new life where they literally go to the Moon...

--- Quote ---Also maybe they did sacrificed the years of his real life, but they created a whole new life where was John and River who end up together so they spend all those years in relationship anyway.
--- End quote ---
And that makes the whole previous life seems "wrong". It was a beatifull but hard life, filled with good & bad momment, and the author erases all that so they can literally go to the Moon.

I know that they lived a whole life after that, but it feels forced, fake. That why I said that instead of a mature and metaphorical ending, we got and weak 'dreams come true' end...it seems such a waste of potential.

Reives:
Hm, interesting take. I personally didn't think them literally going to the moon (though in reality, they never did -- which makes it more of a tragedy the happier it seems) had any effect on the underlying meaning.

Even throughout Johnny's endeavor to go to the moon, never at any point was his real motivation a matter of planting a flag on the lunar surface -- all along, it was a matter of fulfilling the pact between him and River about reuniting on the moon if one were to get lost from the other. River got "lost" after she died, so in Johnny's subconscious and naive mind, she was waiting for him on the moon, which just happened to be the place they stated.

And that was where he aimed to go; not because of the moon, but because of her. In the process, it ended up with them going there together, because she was still alive in this realm and wanted the same thing, at least in his own mind.

I remember having a discussion about this in the private beta board back then too, actually. I think had the last scene been one where they were actually on the moon, then it would've rather demeaning in that manner. But in the last scene, the machine-construct flickered, and Johnny possibly realized that this wasn't real -- and as River held out her hand, he realized that it didn't really matter, because all he wanted was to hold her hand and see her one last time, even if it's like a mere dream. The moon merely makes a brief glimpse right before the game ends, as a nod to their naive childhood promise about to be fulfilled.

Man, that's probably the cheesiest and forwardest I've written about this so far, hahah. But aye, that was my own take on it; hopefully it helps a bit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version