Author Topic: Thoughts/Wishlist for Episode 2  (Read 39465 times)

Re: Thoughts/Wishlist for Episode 2
« Reply #90 on: September 03, 2012, 10:40:49 AM »
   If they do make a sequel I would like to see an extended game because the last one seemed a bit short so it could allow for some character development. I think the next patient should be a doctor that works for the company because then we can see what the company that doctor rosalene and dr neil work for does like if it is a private or goverment owned company, do they only cater to the rich patients or a mixture of rich patients and patients that don't have much money, and why was the company formed and such. 

It could also give an in depth look to the co-workers and how they feel working for the company thus bringing up whether or not by manipulating someone's memories to fulfill a life long wish are they playing God or a spiritual being, questions about the meaning of life and death, and if there is a god or not.

I would also see the game explain the relationship beyween the two doctors and if there is anything wrong with neil. I would also like to see if the relationship between the two doctors go any further.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 10:45:32 AM by Addictedtovideogames1 »

r3kan

« Reply #91 on: September 05, 2012, 12:14:07 PM »
The linear storyline is good as it is, choices will just confuse us players especially when the plot involves a lot of ethics.

Personally i think the amount of character development for eva and neil was just fine, any further might just outdo the main character. that is unless the backstory of the patient relates to them.
itd be great if you keep the psychological aspect of the story. River's syndrome just makes the story that much more heart wrenching than it already is.

Dont set the memory orb limit to five. make it vary depending on the part. its probably just me but i feel really disappointed when i was looking for five objects that links the memory thinking theres more to the story when in reality you only find 3.

Make the mood of the environment vary slightly according to the patient's emotion of the event. you know... how we tend to beautify something in our memories when we really want it.

I was also thinking how about a story where, to fulfill patient's wish, they had to bring the his relative in order to unlock the memories.
for example: father and son had disputes between each other and havent met for a long time. son eventually 'locked away' the memories of his father. Father falls ill and wants to have his wish fulfilled and the key to the father's wish is somewhere hidden in the son's locked memories so they had to convince and bring the son into the memory dive and do a dive within a dive... INCEPTION!!!! *DUMMM!!* this way you can take advantage of the time settle the things in the real world.

oh and make the walkable paths more clear. i keep getting blocked by bushes thinking it was part of the ground  :reivsweat:

Tumbles

« Reply #92 on: September 05, 2012, 04:51:20 PM »
Make the mood of the environment vary slightly according to the patient's emotion of the event. you know... how we tend to beautify something in our memories when we really want it.

I like all your points, but this is my favourite. :seraismile: I can definitely see it working.

(click to show/hide)

Merlandese

« Reply #93 on: September 07, 2012, 11:35:33 AM »

I like all your points, but this is my favourite. :seraismile: I can definitely see it working.

That's a tall order. People already have complaints about how Johnny remembered things (see the thread about how his confession to River doesn't make sense) and apparently take everything that goes on in the memories as the absolute truth. This means that if there are embellishments or "beautifications" in certain scenes, players may lean more to thinking that the game is executed poorly rather than think the patient has a biased view.

I'm sure this idea has definitely been considered, but there's a strange line that needs walked for the player to blame the patient's memories rather than the game's nonsensical approach.

--------
My original compositions on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Merlandese c:
--------

Tumbles

« Reply #94 on: September 07, 2012, 05:25:54 PM »
I trust your opinion, for some strange reason. :seraismile:

(click to show/hide)

r3kan

« Reply #95 on: September 08, 2012, 11:05:54 AM »

That's a tall order. People already have complaints about how Johnny remembered things (see the thread about how his confession to River doesn't make sense) and apparently take everything that goes on in the memories as the absolute truth. This means that if there are embellishments or "beautifications" in certain scenes, players may lean more to thinking that the game is executed poorly rather than think the patient has a biased view.

I'm sure this idea has definitely been considered, but there's a strange line that needs walked for the player to blame the patient's memories rather than the game's nonsensical approach.
sorry if i replied late, didnt know theres a post between the two tumbler posts
by confession you mean john's confession of his guilt right? pity, the seemingly contradictions and how it finally clicks at the end is what makes this game great. i bet kan told the story backwards for that reason.

yea, you're right, most players tend to just skim through everything and never give it a second thought, disorting what is real and what not might confuse them even more. probably one of the reason why most games are so user friendly, both story and gameplay wise. hence i find that minigame after you break the memory barrier fitting. that game is simple yet time consuming that it gives you the time to review what you've just learnt. (probably intended as well)

as you said, the real problem with this is how players determined things as memories as the truth right off the bat. but isnt that more the reason to add in the mood variation? explain the concept to the players by make the client hard of hearing at old age, the speech text would be smaller and have the doctors use the machine to magnify the voice and have the doctors comment on how the memories are shown according to what the patient experiences, get a few more scenes to gradually implant the idea that they're seeing things through the eyes of the patient instead of time travelling

Ferdk

« Reply #96 on: September 08, 2012, 11:31:17 AM »
I like that idea but I think it could bring some problems. For one, it would require (as you suggested) the concept to be explicitly established, so the player doesn't get confused. But once you have it running, it may end up generating an emotional disconnection for the player, as you would be constantly asking yourself "ok, but did this really happen this way?", you would be distrusting every event as it is possible the patient is biased and selectively remembering it.

I think the idea is nice and realistic, but I'm not sure its worth the problems it may give. Sometimes stories have to abandon some logical concepts in order to be easier to swallow, and to give the player the possibility to relate on some emotional level.
My YouTube channel (VG Covers and stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/ferdk16

r3kan

« Reply #97 on: September 08, 2012, 11:36:27 AM »
yup a perfect balance is what we're looking for. a perfect balance or not executed at all

xLucidor

« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2012, 02:47:37 PM »
Amazing game, just finished it!

For episode 2 i wish for more minigames that requires some skill or some failures to get it right.

The whack a mole hammer minigame was awesome and i played it until i got 100% clear, but i got surprised becouse i didnt won anything, would be fun with a reward or a little achivment.

The memento puzzles is a funny thing, but its to easy, it seems like it never gets harder, just easier, but i enjoyed it anyway :)

and a last thing, more things to pick up and use would be awesome!

Sorry for my bad english!
Love from Sweden, keep it up, peace!  ;)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 02:55:05 PM by xLucidor »

xLucidor

« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2012, 02:53:54 PM »
Voice Acting. That is all. :3 
And once again I leave you all with a present.
 :plat: :platquack:

Haha, it could work.

but if they decide to make voiceacting for Episode 2, it would be good to have an option where you can turn it ''On'' or ''Off'' :)

Merlandese

« Reply #100 on: September 11, 2012, 03:07:48 PM »
What do you all think of having an intro option like this:

Story
Gameplay

Whereas the first option reduces puzzles to minimum, and the second option interjects the game with progressively harder puzzle-like interactions.

The benefit of having the option would be that both crowds (since this thread in itself shows conflicting sides) would be appeased in a way.

The drawback is that people who choose the second option upfront might not experience the optimal flow of the story that Kan wants to tell.

Discuss.

--------
--------

Ferdk

« Reply #101 on: September 11, 2012, 03:12:08 PM »
I think from our perspective that's a good idea. But it all falls down to whether Kan is able to tell his story even with the second option. If the story is noticeably hurt from the 2nd option, its definitely not worth it, in my opinion.

Even though there's conflicting opinions on whether the game should feature more gameplay or not, there's also a consensus (obviously) that this game has a wonderful story, which is what makes it so special. So while trying to improve the gameplay is a good goal, it should never interfere with the main selling point of the series, which is a deep, touching and coherently paced story. Or at the very least reduce the damage from gameplay to the very minimum.

That's my 2 cents ^^
My YouTube channel (VG Covers and stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/ferdk16

Tumbles

« Reply #102 on: September 11, 2012, 03:16:21 PM »
Hmm, I'm conflicted. While it sounds like a good idea, by trying to please everyone you often end up pleasing no one. Personally, I'd be worried straight away that perhaps I picked the wrong one, and I'd be wondering what was happening in the other timeline. :vikonsmile:

I'd rather have the Story option as the only option, until the game is completed, which unlocks the Gameplay mode. That way everyone is pleased, while offering some replayability, as well as potential future Steam achievements.

(click to show/hide)

Merlandese

« Reply #103 on: September 11, 2012, 03:19:42 PM »
@Ferdk: I like your two cents, even if I can't spend them in the US without suffering from an exchange rate.

Without advocating either (because it's hard to choose, honestly), I think it's worth noting that the story was considered fantastic despite the puzzles that already existed, including the not-so-favored Zombieva game. I think it's fair to say that if the next story is just as palatable as the first, the second game can use as least as many puzzle/gameplay-like elements.

I suppose having the second option unlocked after the first playthrough could also be a decent idea.

Hmm, I'm conflicted. While it sounds like a good idea, by trying to please everyone you often end up pleasing no one. Personally, I'd be worried straight away that perhaps I picked the wrong one, and I'd be wondering what was happening in the other timeline. :vikonsmile:

I'd rather have the Story option as the only option, until the game is completed, which unlocks the Gameplay mode. That way everyone is pleased, while offering some replayability, as well as potential future Steam achievements.

Tumbles just about said everything. :) But I suppose even unlocking things for a second playthrough could have its repercussions.

--------
--------

Tumbles

« Reply #104 on: September 11, 2012, 04:17:47 PM »
Tumbles just about said everything. :) But I suppose even unlocking things for a second playthrough could have its repercussions.

8)

What kind of repercussions would there be though?

(click to show/hide)

* Recent Media

Eva Rosalene Chibi

Views: 107
Posted by: Anime_Stars
in: To the Moon
Neil Watts Chibi

Views: 96
Posted by: Anime_Stars
in: To the Moon
Sleep | Music Video

Views: 5