Author Topic: Thoughts/Wishlist for Episode 2  (Read 46219 times)

Andris

Re: Thoughts/Wishlist for Episode 2
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2012, 01:42:40 PM »
I have but one request for Episode 2 :) Please include To River somewhere in it :) That song is too beautiful!

Merlandese

« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2012, 03:16:37 PM »
Rosalene changed it to her ringtone, so maybe we'll hear it again when she gets a phone call. :)

--------
My original compositions on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Merlandese c:
--------

Tumbles

« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2012, 04:39:02 PM »
I was actually thinking about how nice it would be to have a flashback or something with For River in the background. :vikonsmile: I'd squee all over the place.

(click to show/hide)

Ferdk

« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2012, 05:09:01 PM »
I gotta be honest, skimming through the suggestions already made, the one that caught my attention and haven't even considered, is the one about Nick or Isabelle being the next client.
But my critical thinking brain is telling me right now that the idea gets me excited, but could really fail, and that I'm only interested in it because of all the feelings I already have for this story and that I don't want to let go. I can't really give an objective opinion on if it would work or not xD
My YouTube channel (VG Covers and stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/ferdk16

« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2012, 11:33:00 PM »
In the second episode please consider something like they have in an RPG called "desert nightmare" where there is a drawing of the characters face next to what they are saying that also changes expression depending on what the character feels. If the game engine allows that it would be nice. Thoes RPG characters dont give you a good feel of what the characters look like.

Tumbles

« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2012, 11:56:31 PM »
The engine definitely allows it. However, I think they were omitted in an attempt to force players to use their imaginations, like reading a novel. I don't know about anyone else, but I really prefer it without the faces. :vikonsmile: In fact, having faces up was something that bugged me about Quintessence. O_O

(click to show/hide)

Merlandese

« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2012, 02:04:10 AM »
Notice that none of the official art has faces for the doctors.

--------
My original compositions on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Merlandese c:
--------

Jaxzar

« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2012, 12:49:23 AM »
I just finished the game and thought it was incredible! The music is wonderful and the story is very touching.

This thread's now quite long and I haven't read all the posts yet, but I agree with what Logo98 said in the OP. I'd also like to offer my ideas/thoughts:

For the next episode I hope to see a far more interactive story where you actually have to travel back and forth to piece together clues. I like the idea of working backwards for the first act or the first part of the game as that keeps you learning gradually about the person's life without revealing too much at once. When the first part is over then all or most of the memories could be 'unlocked' and now you must traverse through them and become more involved in the story (talking more to the characters and such). The timeline at the top is neat, but it didn't serve any real purpose. The client is almost always on screen anyway so you can tell just by looking at him what his age is. The timeline could actually be used as part of the interface to travel through memories, for instance.

Another great idea from the first episode that's ripe for adaptation is the idea of the patient's deteriorating health and running out of time. Perhaps each "trip" to a different memory location would subtract a little bit from some sort of time/health meter, and when that runs out, you lose and have to start over from your last save. Perhaps taking a stroll through a happy memory (or doing something that excites or brings joy to the client) would fill the meter back up a little bit.

Along these same lines, the memory manipulation element is really clever, but the player never gets to directly control any of it. It would be neat if you could add and delete characters at will (pulling characters the client knows/remembers into a specific memory that they weren't actually in, to agitate or propogate some plot element, or removing them if they prove to work at odds with the end goal, or with each other). Also messing with other stuff (like Watts does with his clothing in the NASA presentation scene) would be neat and could even provide an opportunity for some open-ended puzzles.

An idea I think could work very well is a lot more direct interaction with the client (and choices of where and how to do this, with the end goal in mind). For instance, if you say something the wrong way, it might mess everything up and force you to restart that memory or level (working forward in time toward the goal). Then you can reply with a different answer to influence them in a different way. This was used in a limited sense but I think there's a lot of untapped potential there.

As Logo98 mentioned, a longer story would be great, especially since an entire life is such a huge span of time that 20 or so (even emotionally charged) memories can't quite do it justice. Granted, I did actually like the length of To The Moon, it felt just about right. But I wouldn't complain at all if it was a bit longer :)

I too found the gameplay (puzzles) to be a bit cumbersome; many times I was stuck looking for the fifth memory link for quite some time. The memory at the doctor's office (where River is diagnosed) took me ages to figure out where the last piece was (talking to the Johnny in the waiting room). I felt it did get in the way of the story a bit as I was always so eager to get to the next piece of the story but instead I'm forced to hunt around for five random things. Also, the walking/exploring seemed a bit awkward; a lot of times I would click somewhere and nothing would happen, while I'd expect the characters to at least walk in that direction. Most of the little background elements actually blocked the movement path which seemed kind of unnecessary. This was especially true with the horses and those little flowers that seemed to be placed at exactly the worst spots. Even just having a well-defined track to race around would have been much better; it took me quite a while to track down Watts.

One other nitpick is the crazy thing with the Evazombies and traps was a bit too much for me. I found myself struggling to enjoy that part; it lasted far too long and I found it quite difficult and annoying. I did chuckle occasionally at the ridiculousness of it all, but it seemed a bit out of place, like it was slapped in at the last minute, where there could have been something more interesting or substantial instead (perhaps a choice of whether to side with Eva or Watts in resolving the problem?)

I think the changes to the gameplay a.k.a. "memory system" could also be justified by having them haul in a larger, upgraded thing into the next client's house/room.

I agree with previous statements that it didn't feel like a game so much as a highly interactive movie, and I think those two things work at opposite purposes. With a movie, I want to sit and relax and not have to think or interact to move the story along - with a game I want to control and influence everything possible. The way it is currently, it's a somewhat arbitrary mixture between the two, and it feels like (especially with exploration/movement) we the players get stuck doing mostly the boring parts, just to get to the good stuff. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy the gameplay elements, but again, they take away from the enjoyment of the movie elements, and vice versa, rather than building up and supporting each other.

In the end, mine is just another opinion and these are just suggestions, so take it for what it's worth. Overall, I felt the first episode was a complete triumph, and I would not hesitate to purchase an episode 2 even knowing it used the same system and gameplay elements as this one. I'd get it for the story and music alone. Please keep making games, and thank you for To The Moon! If my thoughts are found useful or helpful in making the next one, even better.

I did have one small question I could never figure out - what did Dr. Watts do when he ran outside and made excuses to both Lily and Eva? I don't believe it was referred to again, and I can't possibly imagine what he was doing, if not exactly what he told them (taking a leak and I can't remember what the other excuse was). This happens just as Eva is returning from getting the roadkill (he meets her on his way back to the area by the road).

Tumbles

« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2012, 12:55:56 AM »
All good points!  :seraismile: Most of them have already been brought up, so I don't know how to respond without repeating. ???

Anyway, in response to your last paragraph, it should be apparent why we ran outside if you picked up the small bottle next to the car as Eva. :vikonsmile:

(click to show/hide)

Jaxzar

« Reply #84 on: August 28, 2012, 07:49:12 AM »
Ah, that explains it. I don't recall seeing a bottle so I missed out on that plot element...I'm guessing that's the painkillers that Watts was apparently addicted to. When I first saw that mentioned I was like "where did that come from?" Since before that he only mentions coffee/caffeine.

I figured I was probably beating a dead horse, but still wanted to put my ideas out there. As a game developer and a strong supporter of the indie community I like to see great games like this succeed, and get even better. I'll help in any way I can. I write music, but nothing as awesome as what's found here. I'm a huge fan of Laura Shigihara and now, Kan Gao.

Tumbles

« Reply #85 on: August 28, 2012, 02:05:42 PM »
No worries! I missed the bottle my first time as well. :seraismile:

(click to show/hide)

Tony556

« Reply #86 on: August 28, 2012, 08:00:18 PM »
Voice Acting. That is all. :3 
And once again I leave you all with a present.
 :plat: :platquack:

rokcty

« Reply #87 on: August 29, 2012, 08:41:32 PM »
If there was one thing i need the game needs to have, it is a totally different, yet equal or even more saddening plot. I don't think it should have two people madly in love, and then one gets in the way of the others wish, so they need to get deleted, or 'moved' as Eva put it. I thought that was spectacular for the first installment, but a repeat of that would ruin the series. Then I think it needs to be terribly sad. Like, more sad than the first, not saying it wasn't sad enough. It's just, the second must be better than the first. What i mean to say is- you guys set the bar REALLY high after this first installment, so now you must be even MORE careful with the plot and story line. Good luck, and can't wait to see what you guys come up with!!

Jaxzar

« Reply #88 on: August 29, 2012, 10:40:51 PM »
If there was one thing i need the game needs to have, it is a totally different, yet equal or even more saddening plot.

More saddening? If it was, I wouldn't be able to listen to the music without crying...I'm surprised that's not already the case. If so, it'd better have an ending twice as happy to make up for it!

I agree that the bar was set quite high and that repeating the "conflicting wish/romance" idea (which is very ironic and somehow satisfying since the wish is actually linked to the romance) would be a bit anticlimactic and disappointing.

kon22

« Reply #89 on: September 02, 2012, 03:42:17 PM »
First of all, sorry for my english. It's not my language and I can have some errors.

I would like to see more about Neil and Eva. Maybe a relationship, but it's not necessary. Just some backstory, their opinions about the whole "re-write memories" stuff, more about what they think.

Just an idea: A particular case where the patient is dying and needs someone to enter in his memories to find out something, maybe the reason of his dying condition, or i don't know, something. A case that's not about re-write his memories, but to save him, or something else. I don't pretend to say how the story must go, it's just an idea.

And maybe more interaction with the real world? Talking to different people to find more about the patient and see their opinions on him.

* Recent Media

Eva Rosalene Chibi

Views: 681
Posted by: Anime_Stars
in: To the Moon
Neil Watts Chibi

Views: 628
Posted by: Anime_Stars
in: To the Moon
Sleep | Music Video

Views: 22
Posted by: Skywrtr