Author Topic: Neil & Eva (and their banter)  (Read 7416 times)

EatingToastYay

• Tier 6
  • You are what you eat.
    • My DeviantArt
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
Re: Neil & Eva (and their banter)
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2016, 10:20:49 AM »
Something that I have some concerns about in the long run is that the language and style of their dialogue is very reminiscent of teenagers and college students, even though they're supposed to be adults who have already earned doctorates and have been in a professional career for several years now. I know this because I am actually a student myself and a lot of people about my age speak similarly. This helps me connect to them, but it feels weird and somewhat out of place at times. I mean, while they are in Johnny's house, speaking with the Doctor and Lily, Neil and Eva argue in their presence and act a bit unprofessional. In a company that is knowingly walking on thin ice with the general public, this doesn't seem like the wisest thing to be doing. It isn't that bad, but in a series where age and stages of life seem to have high priority in level of emphasis, this might end up taking away from the contrast in their behavior between when their younger and their present selves.
In general though, I really like their characters and want to know more about them (although unlike most people, I feel more compelled by Eva's life than Neil's... Could turn out to be a problem too because Neil seems to be taking over the conflict spotlight). Mr. Gao, I admire your work on the series greatly and am looking forward to "finding paradise"...

meraki

• Tier 2
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2017, 11:54:50 AM »
Personally, their bantering is actually what got me first hooked to the game. From the very beginning where Neil drove into a tree, he and Eva's little quarrels already started and I was pretty amused by the dialogue. I'm the kind of person who usually gets too bored and depressed with games and films with heavy themes, and I think Neil and Eva's relationship made it much more friendly to those like me.

sharonbeam

• Tier 2
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2018, 01:36:42 AM »
So I'm late to the game but I found Neil's side of the banter annoying because he he is never happy. He complained about everything and is snarky when not complaining. He rarely added to the experience and I found myself wanting to tell him to get with it or shut up. Lol. I wish they liked each other a little. They seem totally annoyed to be there together. They aren't curious or drawn into to the story. I'm a therapist so I understand respecting boundaries but there's no time so far (I'm stuck at Memory 12) where they have any empathy for the couple. Only disdain such as when one of them says they don't like seeing people make mistakes at the wedding. . It's not even sympathetic, just critical. So that'd be my wish.

* Recent Media

Johnny and River

Views: 460
Posted by: chronotron12
in: To the Moon
Eva and Neil plushies

Views: 523
Posted by: kikikai
in: To the Moon