Author Topic: Playing To The Moon in Wine on Mac  (Read 22349 times)

Ovedius

• Tier 1
Playing To The Moon in Wine on Mac
« on: November 04, 2011, 05:06:05 AM »
Hello!

As you might have guessed from the topic; I'm trying to play To The Moon on my Mac through Crossover Games (Wine).
Not that I can't play it on my PC or my Boot Camp installation but...it's just more convenient this way.

So, on to it:

When I try to run the game I get an error message saying thus:
"The program control.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close..."

I'm guessing that control.exe is the activation program that asks for my registration key.

I've installed To The Moon in a Windows XP bottle
and I've also installed DirectX, Visual C++ 2005, Net Framework 2.0 and Visual Basic 6 SP6.
-I have basically thrown whatever I could at the wall to see if anything sticks.

I also tried activating To The Moon in Boot Camp, naturally everything worked perfectly there, and copying the activated
game over to my OS X partition.
But the game still runs control.exe at startup, so it still crashes.

All help will be greatly appreciated  :)

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
Re: Playing To The Moon in Wine on Mac
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 07:47:31 AM »
I was testing possibility of playing To the Moon on Unix based OS (Specifically latest version of WINE and Linux Ubuntu 10.04 LTS) but I uterly failed. So I'm sorry but so far I didn't found a way how to run it on Unix-based systems... Also Wine compatibility with RM Maker (which is base for Freebird games studio games) is Bronze that means it's " Software with major Issues"
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Ovedius

• Tier 1
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 09:31:41 AM »
Thanks for your reply.

I've been fiddling about with To The Moon some more but I just can't get it to work.

Thank Go...Programmers for Virtual Machines then :)

darklord42

• abt-port
  • Tier 2
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 08:37:41 PM »
Yah I attempted to install the game on MacOSX through Wineskin. But failed. If someone ever succeeds in installing it through Wine then it will work there as well.  The benefit of wineskin is that it takes the entire game folder and registry stuff, places inside an executable wrapper, and, through no extra software then what is already included within the wrapper itself, will launch the game.  It is a very useful tool for releasing the game on mac from independent studios that don't have the ability to make a native macport.  So I strongly recommend someone who better knows the quirks of wine to give it a try.

darklord42

• abt-port
  • Tier 2
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 09:13:15 PM »
Granted RPG Maker is in the Bronze category, but, that being said, the error they have been getting are not the errors I have been getting.  And according to some tests I should be getting some partial success as To the Moon uses .ogg for audio and as long as you dl ariel font from winetricks should fix that particular issue in rpgmaker itself anyway. (+ Bronze doesn't mean Garbage) But just as another user had, I just get a black screen on launching the game after clicking past the "buy me now" window.  (didn't bother putting in my code for this test.)  In any case, if anyone is interested, here is my winelog.  (wineskin makes debuging pretty easy,usually, but this one has me scratching my head)

Code: [Select]
fixme:ole:CoInitializeSecurity (0x0,-1,0x0,0x0,0,3,0x0,0,0x0) - stub!
fixme:wbemprox:wbem_locator_ConnectServer 0x13a260, L"ROOT\\CIMV2", (null), (null), (null), 0x00000000, (null), 0x0, 0x105f674)
fixme:mountmgr:harddisk_ioctl returning zero-filled buffer for IOCTL_VOLUME_GET_VOLUME_DISK_EXTENTS
fixme:mountmgr:harddisk_ioctl Unsupported ioctl 74080 (device=7 access=1 func=20 method=0)
fixme:wbemprox:wbem_locator_ConnectServer 0x13cb38, L"ROOT\\CIMv2", (null), (null), (null), 0x00000000, (null), 0x0, 0x145f67c)
fixme:wbemprox:wbem_locator_ConnectServer 0x13cb38, L"ROOT\\CIMv2", (null), (null), (null), 0x00000000, (null), 0x0, 0x105f67c)
fixme:wbemprox:wbem_locator_ConnectServer 0x13cb88, L"ROOT\\CIMv2", (null), (null), (null), 0x00000000, (null), 0x0, 0x145f67c)
fixme:reg:RegSetKeySecurity :(0x60,4,0xc3abdc): stub
fixme:urlmon:URLMoniker_BindToObject use running object table
fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0x28df54c, overlapped 0x28df530): stub
fixme:ieframe:ClOleCommandTarget_QueryStatus (0x1409d4)->((null) 1 0x9a1c3c 0x0)
fixme:ieframe:ClOleCommandTarget_QueryStatus command_0: 27, 0x0
fixme:ieframe:ClOleCommandTarget_Exec Unimplemented cmdid 25
fixme:ieframe:ClOleCommandTarget_Exec Unimplemented cmdid 26
fixme:ieframe:ClOleCommandTarget_Exec Unimplemented cmdid 37 of group {000214d1-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
fixme:ieframe:ClientSite_GetContainer (0x1409d4)->(0x9a1c5c)
fixme:ieframe:ClOleCommandTarget_Exec Unimplemented cmdid 84 of group {000214d1-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
fixme:ieframe:ClientSite_GetContainer (0x1409d4)->(0x9a3cec)
fixme:imm:ImmReleaseContext (0x20026, 0x3b7c310): stub
fixme:ieframe:ClOleCommandTarget_Exec Unimplemented cmdid 25
fixme:ieframe:ClOleCommandTarget_Exec Unimplemented cmdid 26
fixme:ieframe:ClOleCommandTarget_Exec Unimplemented cmdid 29
fixme:ieframe:DocHostUIHandler_GetDropTarget (0x1409d4)
fixme:ieframe:ClOleCommandTarget_Exec Unimplemented cmdid 69 of CGID_Explorer
fixme:ieframe:PropertyNotifySink_OnChanged unimplemented dispid 1005
fixme:ieframe:ClOleCommandTarget_Exec Unimplemented cmdid 69 of CGID_Explorer
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x9a1d20,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:resource:GetGuiResources (0xffffffff,0): stub
_cairo_win32_get_system_text_quality:

This is using the latest 1.4 rc5 of wine.  Doesn't make a difference if I use one of wineskin's crossover based engines.  which I find interesting.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 09:32:35 PM by darklord42 »

Thunderbird

• 雷の鳥
  • Tier 7
  • Flame Haze
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 07:45:07 AM »
Dunnow if it helps you, but Reives had a facebook post about onlive and Mac playability.
http://www.facebook.com/FreebirdGames
Even if you are nothing more than a drop in a bucket...
Every drop leaves ripples.

darklord42

• abt-port
  • Tier 2
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 08:35:18 AM »
not really, I have no intention of getting an onlive account.  Have enough monthly bills as it is.
EDIT
oh they got rid of the monthly fee a while ago.  Hmm, that's interesting.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 08:41:18 AM by darklord42 »

darklord42

• abt-port
  • Tier 2
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 10:26:11 PM »
Ok i got it running on macOSX 10.8 via wineskin using the extraction program from this thread
http://freebirdgames.com/forum/index.php?topic=4343.0

It wasn't a dll error, the basic installer installs all dll's necessary to run the game. No it was having issues reading that crazy rgssad file.

To run dl wineskin, download latest wrapper and wineengine.  (1.5.21 as of this post.)
Upon creation of wineskin wrapper it will ask to install mono, and gecko.  Say yes to both, as i think both will be needed.
click on (choose setup executable)
find installer and install normally.

afterward open terminal and compile sulix's ttm_unpack program (requires xcode)
"gcc /dir/ttm_unpack.c -o ttm_unpack" will compile it in your home directory
use program to extract the data and graphics folder from "To the Moon.rgssad" file and will place in your home directory.
Drag both folders to your "to the moon" folder in the wrapper
rename the "To the Moon.rgssad" to something else.

(Or use the python version which needs no compiling)

Go to configure menu in the wineskin Advanced Menu. Select "To the Moon.exe"

If experiencing graphical issues when running under mountain lion go back to wineskin

go under settings and select the set

ddr=gdi (set DirectDrawRender to gdi)

and press run.

Game should now run fine

Extra notes.
-------------
there was a wine report that supposedly fixed a RPGMaker font issue by installing the arial font in MSCorefonts from wineskin.  Doesn't hurt in any case

If using the version directly from the developer, and you installed gecko as suggested before, the DRM should work normally.  Just enter in your key as you normally would.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 11:34:09 PM by darklord42 »

Dr. Zooks McCoy

• Tier 7
  • Dr. Rodney McKay's female sidekick
    • Soundcloud
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 08:52:22 AM »
If you ever need an easier way, this is the Mac thread. :P
http://freebirdgames.com/forum/index.php?topic=4590.0

sulix

• Tier 2
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 09:33:54 PM »
It's awesome that my ttm_unpack program worked on Mac as well!

If it's a bit too complicated to get it compiling, there's a python version.

I've also put up a webpage about the program, which should explain it a bit better.

darklord42

• abt-port
  • Tier 2
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 06:59:52 PM »
Thanks Sulix!  Yah, it was a piece of cake though this is also very promising.

@Dr Zooks McCoy

Thanks, I saw that. :)

No, the easier way is to just boot into windows and run the game.  This is about creating a standalone application that can potentially be distributed as a mac release without somehow making a mac version of RPGmaker, or without running a copy of windows.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 07:02:29 PM by darklord42 »

Dr. Zooks McCoy

• Tier 7
  • Dr. Rodney McKay's female sidekick
    • Soundcloud
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 11:57:11 PM »

Is it free? O_O
Spoiler: show
Also, now we're talking about cake and wine? Mmm...

darklord42

• abt-port
  • Tier 2
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 07:05:29 AM »
http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php yup.  Although i'll admit it starts to hit issues with gatekeeper when installing on others computers.  You can of course override it. But it can't be a certified application as, whenever you save a file, it would break the checks.  I think doh123 may need to create write shadowing, where new files written would actually be written somewhere in the ~/User/Library similar to how Boxer (a dos emulator that is now the core for gog mac release games) does it.

Not to mention other technical issues that needs to be overcome. I just hit a crash whenever Dr. Watts leaves the secret room.

darklord42

• abt-port
  • Tier 2
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 11:22:26 PM »
Ok I came across a little setting that fixed all my issues so i edited my instructions above. The game runs perfectly under wineskin.  Just make sure to use the latest wine engine and if running under mountain lion change DirectDrawRender to gdi in either the wine regestry or through winetricks.   With this method a full OSX distribution is entirely possible and i highly recommend it. Using no coding changes or changing the user key system used on the windows distro.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 11:25:45 PM by darklord42 »

darklord42

• abt-port
  • Tier 2
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 12:19:43 AM »
Would it be alright for me to post the developer demo for testing purposes?

* Recent Media