Quintessence - TBV > Freebird Open Source Teams

Major Step: Quintessence - The Blighted Venom

(1/11) > >>

Reives:
Heya folks. I've a big announcement today about our longest running project, Quintessence - The Blighted Venom:

Quintessence is going open source. :) This means that each and every one of you can, if you wish, directly participate in the making of Quintessence and leave your own mark on it.

Anyone can add things to the game. The only two things that aren't open source are music and the main plot, which are already set - though the main plot is still somewhat skeletal and the specifics haven't been written out, so those are open as well.

*One concern is the potential altering of the quality and consistency of the game. But I believe we'll be fine, as there would be an approval process by Freebird members and myself. Essentially, it'd be like working through it with transparency, in which at any point anyone could go "here, how about this?", and if the consensus is that it works, that'll be included in the game.

Contributing members will be credited as a part of Quintessence's production group, and can freely join teams like. . .

*drum roll*

* Freebird mappers: From actually mapping in RMXP to just designing a sketch of towns' layouts for me and others to turn into in-game maps. c:

* Michelangelos: Graphics related - from giving Lunair a new dress to simply finding appropriate usable resources.

* Writers: Dialogues, scenarios, and side stories!

* Designers: Mini-games, puzzles, etc. - from conceptual design to actual implementation.

Unlike game making teams in a formal sense, however, this is merely for organizational purpose and has no pressures - anyone can come in and contribute to what Quintessence is like (there will be regulations from general consensus for consistency), and no one is pressured to meet any quota or what so ever. It is essentially just opening up Quintessence's creation process to the player base itself. :)

Incentives for this major move toward open source are:

* A sense of Freebird community working together
* Faster progress to finish the game
* More heads = more ideas, better quality
* The capability of implementing various side-quests and etc.
* An opportunity to get your pawprint on the game.
There're still many things that need to be decided and finalized, and I'm hoping to get it sorted out with ya guys. One of the main things that come to mind is quality control -- but I think the watch and advices of the groups and myself should be able to guide things in the right direction. Besides, I think most things can be used to some extent -- those who aren't as experienced with mapping details but still want to map, for example, can create the rough rooms and layouts, and have another to fill in the furnitures. Anyone has the capability of doing something to be included, be it laying out a town or writing the dialogue for a NPC civilian.

Feel free to share your thoughts and concerns about it~! Depending on what we ultimately decide to do, the Quintessence subforum will be modified accordingly. :)

P.S. I originally wanted to wait until To the Moon was finished to get this started, but I figured we may as well as have this underway as To the Moon moves toward release.

Ronnie:
If you are really going through with this, well, I guess I'd like to help with writing stuff such as dialogues or plot or whatever, but in general, I don't approve of this idea.

I can't really explain in a sensible way, I think, but I think you wouldn't really be able to control the quality, and I really think that Quintessence would definitely lose its whole atmosphere, at least for me. :/

Reives:
It's certainly a potential problem, but I think we can manage. :) It wouldn't be like anyone would insert content without anyone knowing - there would be an approval process by myself and everyone else. The contents would also be processed for consistency before being packaged together; I'll be doing that to make sure everything fits with the atmosphere.

Essentially, it'd be like working through it with transparency, in which at any point anyone could go "here, how about this?", and if the consensus is that it works, that'll be included in the game.

واشا:
Wow O_O This is an interesting idea. I'm a bit wary about, for reasons Ronnie mentioned, but it could be an interesting experience :D I think writing dialogue would be kind of fun~ And maybe I could help with some NPCs or something. I find it interesting when NPCs have different things to say different times you talk to them, and I've got an easy enough way to do that ;)

Rayen:
I knew about this beforehand, and I still think it's an interesting idea. Yeah, people have a reason to be wary about this, but all in all, you still have the final say, right? o:

--- Quote ---those who aren't as experienced with mapping details but still want to map, for example, can create the rough rooms and layouts, and have another to fill in the furnitures.

--- End quote ---
Lol. I'm actually doing this with my friend for our game. She's kinda bad at mapping in XP, but good enough with layouts, so I end up tweaking her ideas and make 'em more suitable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version