Author Topic: What's on your mind?  (Read 312535 times)

The-PurpleOrange

• 紫のオレンジ・・・この色彩が面白いですね。
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: What's on your mind?
« Reply #2595 on: May 05, 2012, 05:19:41 PM »
I can't tell really, I'm using my phone too.

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
  • I am who I am, but not yet.
    • Big Palooka
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #2596 on: May 05, 2012, 05:31:39 PM »
Haha, there's no rush!  :seraismile: Just make sure Squeaker's theme is in there.  XD

Spoiler: show

~

somename

• Tier 2
« Reply #2597 on: May 06, 2012, 12:25:50 PM »
I need to compose music to a new project me and some of my friends started(Set in ancient rome. I searched for information on the music back then but there is no much expect for the instruments used. Probably mostly Kithara/harp music)...
And I have no idea how I'm going to do so(my past "composition trials" didn't go too well)... Great!.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #2598 on: May 06, 2012, 12:43:28 PM »
Mind filling us in on the project?

--------
My original compositions on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Merlandese c:
--------

somename

• Tier 2
« Reply #2599 on: May 06, 2012, 01:05:46 PM »
Mind filling us in on the project?

Well it's still in the planning phase(And hopefully this time I won't work only to find out that everyone quitted).
The plan is to make a short(so we will actaully manage to finish that) animated movie based on the history of rome(We thought of making animated film for quite some time now and one of us really LOVE rome so...).

I know the art will probably be top notch(one of us is a great artist, though I'm not sure how good his animation is) so I hope my music won't be too horrible :p

Oh and I just listened to the music in your bandcamp and It's great!(I heard some of it before on your youtube account) I think for now I like Electronic Journel the most.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #2600 on: May 06, 2012, 01:19:17 PM »
Sounds like an interesting project. If you ever get it going at full speed, start up a thread so we can watch your progress and encourage you all with feedback. Plus, having a thread where complete strangers critique your work might help keep your party motivated to completion.

I'm not too savvy when it comes to Romanesque music or animated scores, but if you need a little composition advice, myself and others would probably be able to help. :) Good luck!

Oh, and thanks for listening! :) It means a lot.

--------
--------

The-PurpleOrange

• 紫のオレンジ・・・この色彩が面白いですね。
  • Tier 7
« Reply #2601 on: May 06, 2012, 01:49:27 PM »
I like things about the Romans, I look forward to seeing it once it is finished.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #2602 on: May 08, 2012, 06:34:50 PM »
I hate dice rolls.

--------
--------

Judedeath

• ~Insert Japanese things here~
  • Tier 7
  • JOHN-PEE-AIR!
« Reply #2603 on: May 08, 2012, 08:23:47 PM »
I hate dice rolls.

Did the dice hurt you?
Old River was as dead as a doornail, this must be distinctly understood or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am about to relate.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #2604 on: May 09, 2012, 11:58:43 PM »
I hate dice rolls.

Did the dice hurt you?

Yes. In every board game that substitutes brain skill and strategy for luck, I feel physically burdened. Almost hurt. I may even bruise a bit. If I ever make a board game that utilizes dice rules, go ahead and disregard my existence in these forums.

--------
--------

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
    • Big Palooka
« Reply #2605 on: May 10, 2012, 12:05:33 AM »
I figure that the best board games use a balance of both skill and luck.
Too much luck and people get frustrated. Too much skill and the same people keep on winning. An example of a good balance would be Monopoly and maybe... Mario Party? I played that last night, and it was pretty balanced.  :vikonsmile:

~

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #2606 on: May 10, 2012, 12:28:06 AM »
You actually just cited my two examples of rampant dice roll luck.

Monopoly is easily my least favorite board game, utilizing luck in both linear movement (which stands for a lot in respect to property purchasing and paying) and the cards, which are collected at random. It's a game with the semblance of strategy and purposeful movement, but luck plays so big of a roll that there's never enough decision making to be interactive.

Mario Party, as fun as it is, is a game I've played dozens of times with dozens of friends, but despite my massive coin grabbing (due to expertise in gaming) and decent strategy, have never won. The luck element is so skewed that no amount of skill or practice will give anyone the high ground.

That makes it a good family game, one that can allow young people in to feel faux accomplishment, but it is truly poor game design. Complex elements of gaming can be demonstrated without relying too heavily on luck.

Want to play a real game that requires strategy but still has a heavy luck element? Play Carcassonne with me. The game is easy to grab, easy to learn, has few move requirements, but still has enough of a luck element that after a certain point of playing, everyone gets to even ground based on their skill. It's tough to explain, but it's perfectly balanced in that regard.

No dice.

At least with random card choosing, cards are usually stored and played when advantageous. Cards can also have multiple purpose and effects. Dice have numbers, and those number are usually for a singular application.

Another game I hate: Risk. Little strategy, lots of luck. I'm not asking that every game be an abstract strategy game (Chess, Checkers, Go, Tic-Tac-To, Five Stones, Rock-Paper-Scissors, etc.), but for goodness sake, a game without a prominent mentally-driven maneuver is a slot machine.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 12:35:26 AM by Merlandese »

--------
--------

The-PurpleOrange

• 紫のオレンジ・・・この色彩が面白いですね。
  • Tier 7
« Reply #2607 on: May 10, 2012, 12:38:22 AM »
Carcassonne is the best game I have played. Especially since each time you play it the way it developes is completely different to all the previous games you have played.

You can cheat really easily on rock-paper-scissors though.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #2608 on: May 10, 2012, 12:43:53 AM »
Truth.

There's so much to say about such a simple game. I'd love to play you someday. I'm sure you'd be a good opponent.

Plus, it's essentially an investment game, and I find the way that each person plays indicative of the way they go about their personal decisions. Simple example: people who build by themselves and never sneak into other constructs are typically independent, whereas people who spend all of their efforts edging into other constructs are typically dependent.

--------
--------

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
    • Big Palooka
« Reply #2609 on: May 10, 2012, 12:44:13 AM »
Haha, well then I guess it's safe to say that if it involves dice, it's gonna be luck based in some way, and therefore making it slightly unfair.

I often play Monopoly with a group of friends, and the winner always seems to be the same guy, even though he's slightly... intellectually challenged. There's no doubt the rest of the group is better at the game than him, yet he always wins. But we always have fun, so I guess that makes it a good game. Not necessarily fair, but fun.

Mario Party's the same, as in anyone can end up winning as long as luck's on their side. In the end, the winner seems to be the one who was closest to the star the most times. That's not fair, but it doesn't stop it being fun. The minigames are good, and it's just a good excuse to hang out with friends for a while.

All games that incorporate luck in some way are gonna be slightly unfair, but at least the odds are the same for everyone, which makes it more fun for those who are less skilled than the other players.

I know my points are pretty stupid, but I have a headache, so I excuse myself.  XD

By the way, this Carcassone sounds pretty interesting, but I've never heard of it. ???

~