Author Topic: What's on your mind?  (Read 190220 times)

Tumbles

Re: What's on your mind?
« Reply #2730 on: May 06, 2012, 08:49:17 PM »
Yeah, Jude said it was good. I remember reading about it somewhere else as well. :) It looks unique to say the least, so I'm sure it's worth checking out.  :seraismile:

(click to show/hide)

Judedeath

« Reply #2731 on: May 07, 2012, 01:52:43 PM »
Yeah, I really enjoyed playing through it. Defiantly try the demo it's about 20% of the game, and it far enough that it sucks you in or not. Also you can use your save from the demo in the full game. If you're wondering according to steam I've played it and the demo for a total of 5.2 hours. And that's 100%ing the game, you could probably take longer but I kind of skipped a lot of stuff on my post first playthrough. It's really good. I also recommend looking into Digital: A Love Story which is kind of different, but still pretty good(and free).

EDIT: Oh, yeah it's more of a mature story and that, just wanting to point that out, and even with the cutesy cheerful look most of the game really isn't.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 01:54:29 PM by Judedeath »
Old River was as dead as a doornail, this must be distinctly understood or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am about to relate.

Merlandese

« Reply #2732 on: May 08, 2012, 06:34:50 PM »
I hate dice rolls.

--------
My original compositions on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Merlandese c:
--------

Judedeath

« Reply #2733 on: May 08, 2012, 08:23:47 PM »
I hate dice rolls.

Did the dice hurt you?
Old River was as dead as a doornail, this must be distinctly understood or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am about to relate.

Merlandese

« Reply #2734 on: May 09, 2012, 11:58:43 PM »
I hate dice rolls.

Did the dice hurt you?

Yes. In every board game that substitutes brain skill and strategy for luck, I feel physically burdened. Almost hurt. I may even bruise a bit. If I ever make a board game that utilizes dice rules, go ahead and disregard my existence in these forums.

--------
--------

Tumbles

« Reply #2735 on: May 10, 2012, 12:05:33 AM »
I figure that the best board games use a balance of both skill and luck.
Too much luck and people get frustrated. Too much skill and the same people keep on winning. An example of a good balance would be Monopoly and maybe... Mario Party? I played that last night, and it was pretty balanced.  :vikonsmile:

(click to show/hide)

Merlandese

« Reply #2736 on: May 10, 2012, 12:28:06 AM »
You actually just cited my two examples of rampant dice roll luck.

Monopoly is easily my least favorite board game, utilizing luck in both linear movement (which stands for a lot in respect to property purchasing and paying) and the cards, which are collected at random. It's a game with the semblance of strategy and purposeful movement, but luck plays so big of a roll that there's never enough decision making to be interactive.

Mario Party, as fun as it is, is a game I've played dozens of times with dozens of friends, but despite my massive coin grabbing (due to expertise in gaming) and decent strategy, have never won. The luck element is so skewed that no amount of skill or practice will give anyone the high ground.

That makes it a good family game, one that can allow young people in to feel faux accomplishment, but it is truly poor game design. Complex elements of gaming can be demonstrated without relying too heavily on luck.

Want to play a real game that requires strategy but still has a heavy luck element? Play Carcassonne with me. The game is easy to grab, easy to learn, has few move requirements, but still has enough of a luck element that after a certain point of playing, everyone gets to even ground based on their skill. It's tough to explain, but it's perfectly balanced in that regard.

No dice.

At least with random card choosing, cards are usually stored and played when advantageous. Cards can also have multiple purpose and effects. Dice have numbers, and those number are usually for a singular application.

Another game I hate: Risk. Little strategy, lots of luck. I'm not asking that every game be an abstract strategy game (Chess, Checkers, Go, Tic-Tac-To, Five Stones, Rock-Paper-Scissors, etc.), but for goodness sake, a game without a prominent mentally-driven maneuver is a slot machine.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 12:35:26 AM by Merlandese »

--------
--------

The-PurpleOrange

« Reply #2737 on: May 10, 2012, 12:38:22 AM »
Carcassonne is the best game I have played. Especially since each time you play it the way it developes is completely different to all the previous games you have played.

You can cheat really easily on rock-paper-scissors though.

Merlandese

« Reply #2738 on: May 10, 2012, 12:43:53 AM »
Truth.

There's so much to say about such a simple game. I'd love to play you someday. I'm sure you'd be a good opponent.

Plus, it's essentially an investment game, and I find the way that each person plays indicative of the way they go about their personal decisions. Simple example: people who build by themselves and never sneak into other constructs are typically independent, whereas people who spend all of their efforts edging into other constructs are typically dependent.

--------
--------

Tumbles

« Reply #2739 on: May 10, 2012, 12:44:13 AM »
Haha, well then I guess it's safe to say that if it involves dice, it's gonna be luck based in some way, and therefore making it slightly unfair.

I often play Monopoly with a group of friends, and the winner always seems to be the same guy, even though he's slightly... intellectually challenged. There's no doubt the rest of the group is better at the game than him, yet he always wins. But we always have fun, so I guess that makes it a good game. Not necessarily fair, but fun.

Mario Party's the same, as in anyone can end up winning as long as luck's on their side. In the end, the winner seems to be the one who was closest to the star the most times. That's not fair, but it doesn't stop it being fun. The minigames are good, and it's just a good excuse to hang out with friends for a while.

All games that incorporate luck in some way are gonna be slightly unfair, but at least the odds are the same for everyone, which makes it more fun for those who are less skilled than the other players.

I know my points are pretty stupid, but I have a headache, so I excuse myself.  XD

By the way, this Carcassone sounds pretty interesting, but I've never heard of it. ???

(click to show/hide)

Merlandese

« Reply #2740 on: May 10, 2012, 01:40:54 AM »
Dude, a game of Carcassonne between me, you, and Purpleorange, would be pretty phenomenal. After the learning curve, of course, but it'd be great. I got Reives to play with me, and dude's a fast learner. I can tell he'd be awesome at it.

On a sadder note, I can never get my friends to play board games with me. Or any games, for that matter. Frisbee, video games, board games; they're all reasons to have fun with other people, and yet, they haven't grown out of the bar-hopping-is-the-only-source-of-validation stage yet. Dudes and dudettes, grab a drink and play games with me for a few hours and I guarantee you'll have more fun than any bar can provide, sans the thrill of the hunt.

But no dice games or I'll have Judedeath smash you. (Seriously, if we were in a game and were all secretly leveled, I'd wager Jude was the highest level, just waiting in the shadows with his maxed HP and super meteoric skillsets.)

--------
--------

Squall

« Reply #2741 on: May 10, 2012, 02:22:45 AM »
While I like quite a few board games (like Carcassonne), there are also some awesome card games out there!
Try Munchkin, for example, is awesomeness!

Here are some example cards:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 02:24:26 AM by Squall »

Merlandese

« Reply #2742 on: May 10, 2012, 02:33:04 AM »
I've heard good things about Munchkin. I wish I knew some people nearby who played it and were willing to adopt me into their gameage.

--------
--------

Tumbles

« Reply #2743 on: May 10, 2012, 06:44:04 AM »
I love card games! If it's a game that uses the classic deck of 52, I most likely know how to play it.  :seraismile:

The only game I know that uses a custom deck is San Guo Sha.  ???

(click to show/hide)

Mela

« Reply #2744 on: May 11, 2012, 03:25:28 PM »
America is getting closer and closer! :o

* Recent Media

Eva Rosalene Chibi

Views: 787
Posted by: Anime_Stars
in: To the Moon
Neil Watts Chibi

Views: 803