Author Topic: Frustration House Cheer Up Hugs Since 2009  (Read 176295 times)

Rayen

Re: Frustration House Cheer Up Hugs Since 2009
« Reply #2490 on: September 18, 2012, 04:22:25 PM »
@ Tumbles: Oh god, I wish. It would make things so much easier.

-----
That smile you see upon my face? That's nothing more than just a mask.

Tumbles

« Reply #2491 on: September 18, 2012, 07:23:16 PM »
Sounds to me like perhaps we need another mod around here... Y'know, maybe one who's awake while everyone up in that there northern hemisphere is sleeping. ;D Loljks, just kidding, but seriously.

(click to show/hide)

r3kan

« Reply #2492 on: September 18, 2012, 08:01:56 PM »
cant you put up a few question that requires a human response when you register? something like what is the animal in our logo? i think that'll stop the bots for a while

Judedeath

« Reply #2493 on: September 18, 2012, 08:24:03 PM »
cant you put up a few question that requires a human response when you register? something like what is the animal in our logo? i think that'll stop the bots for a while

Except a portion of spam bots are actually people that can get by that.

Also a thing to point out the not posting a thing could just be posting on peoples profiles, cause as far as I know that doesn't count as a post, kind of like the shoutbox.

Sounds to me like perhaps we need another mod around here... Y'know, maybe one who's awake while everyone up in that there northern hemisphere is sleeping. ;D Loljks, just kidding, but seriously.

You mean like kikikikai?
Old River was as dead as a doornail, this must be distinctly understood or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am about to relate.

Tumbles

« Reply #2494 on: September 18, 2012, 08:37:25 PM »
You mean like kikikikai?

Nahh, I meant kikikikikikikikai. :seraismile:

(click to show/hide)

r3kan

« Reply #2495 on: September 18, 2012, 09:28:24 PM »
dam spambots are tricky. how about a rule that you cant post links in the first 10 posts? if those spam bots bother following this rule, they have to be pretty hardcore

Judedeath

« Reply #2496 on: September 18, 2012, 09:30:55 PM »
dam spambots are tricky. how about a rule that you cant post links in the first 10 posts? if those spam bots bother following this rule, they have to be pretty hardcore

Nah, cause that rule won't change anything other than discouraging legitimate people from posting like their art, like they may be nervous and want to post that as their first post.

And as we all know Spam Bots don't follow rules anyway, so it will end up kind of like DRM, only really affecting the legitimate users.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 10:46:27 PM by Judedeath »
Old River was as dead as a doornail, this must be distinctly understood or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am about to relate.

r3kan

« Reply #2497 on: September 18, 2012, 10:29:30 PM »
so in the end all we can do is ban them on sight eh? spam bot users got to realise no one that ever click their links  :seraisweat:

QM, Professional Nekomancer

« Reply #2498 on: September 19, 2012, 12:40:00 AM »
We're more or less in the same time zone (discrepancy of 2 hours, I believe). :) But in all seriousness, it wouldn't hurt to strengthen the mod presence in the Asian/Oceanian timezone. I know only of another mod from the same time zone as I am and we're both slugging through college so time isn't on our side. More mods from our area would keep this place squeakier clean.

As for r3kan, I do believe that that is the best course of action for now. If we accidentally IP ban anyone, they can contact Reives through Facebook or Twitter, inform him of the banned account and we'll reverse it. It's not like the mods hold a grudge for accidentally banning legitimate people. Shit happens, and the spammers/bots are blending in better among the innocents.

Tumbles

« Reply #2499 on: September 19, 2012, 12:52:40 AM »
Yeah, you know it's getting bad when there's more spam than legitimate posts. :seraisweat: I'd be happy to help, but it's not really up to me. Well, that and I've only been here 8/9 months.

As for r3kan's rule, I've gotta agree with Jude. A lot of users come here to show their art, make a few posts, and then they leave. :vikonsmile: Banning someone straight away for posting a link to their fanstuff would definitely be a bad first impression, and may even discourage people from future Freebird stuff. And we wouldn't want that. :seraismile: Until a suitable decision is made, I guess it's just selective banning. That's not so bad, right? I mean, how many IP addresses can there be? XD

(click to show/hide)

QM, Professional Nekomancer

« Reply #2500 on: September 19, 2012, 12:58:35 AM »
Yeah, you know it's getting bad when there's more spam than legitimate posts. :seraisweat: I'd be happy to help, but it's not really up to me. Well, that and I've only been here 8/9 months.
Length isn't really a factor into moderatorship. I became one some time shortly after my registration. Though, it's because we had to deal with Sizzle's precursor in terms of hyperposting. :P I'd say ask Reives and show him this post as a voucher or something. It's not like I have influence on him, but the discussion and the necessity to strengthen the Asian/Oceanic defense would probably help.

Tumbles

« Reply #2501 on: September 19, 2012, 01:10:54 AM »
Hmm, well I am online about 5 times an hour. XD I'll give it some thought, and perhaps send Reives a pm. It couldn't hurt, I guess. :vikonsmile:

(click to show/hide)

Star-san

« Reply #2502 on: September 19, 2012, 09:12:04 AM »
Well, I hope that someday, an SMF module will soon be available that will effectively control the entry of spam bots. I sure had a very bad experience before in another community, and along with spammers. I spent about 3-5 hrs just to warn or permban these creatures justly. haha! I feel your pain there for some reason, Rayen.

On another note...

UGH. Posting at the wrong thread. It's one of the drawbacks of having too many tabs on. lol

I'm getting tired of the frequent rains. Every time it rains hard, the traffic always becomes heavier. I hate it when it happens. >_<

My Website: http://winchettstardale.wordpress.com
Follow me @winchystardale on Twitter. =P

Rayen

« Reply #2503 on: September 19, 2012, 09:49:26 AM »
I mean, how many IP addresses can there be? XD

Enough for there to be over 3 pages worth of IP-banned (and then some) bots.

-----
That smile you see upon my face? That's nothing more than just a mask.

Just Lance

« Reply #2504 on: September 19, 2012, 10:12:49 AM »
Wow that's quite a lot. At forum where I mod we as mods don't have right to ban. We're more of guarding dogs than anything else... And my thread for moding is Off Topic which serves same purpose as General thread here.
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

* Recent Media

Eva Rosalene Chibi

Views: 679
Posted by: Anime_Stars
in: To the Moon
Neil Watts Chibi

Views: 627
Posted by: Anime_Stars
in: To the Moon
Sleep | Music Video

Views: 22
Posted by: Skywrtr