Author Topic: What's the Meaning Behind your Screen Name?  (Read 1043 times)

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • It's a-MAGE-ing
  • Current Mood: creative creative
What's the Meaning Behind your Screen Name?
« on: October 04, 2015, 10:26:31 PM »
Wanted to open this thread for a while now. You post the meaning or story behind your screen name.

Spoiler: DragonMage156 • show

(Just gonna copy and paste cos I don't wanna write it again :reivsweat: )

DragonMage156 is actually my screen name on most sites. In 2011 (I think) I got a dragon calendar. One of the pictures was this:

The picture was called Dragon Mage so I decided to use it. The numbers "156" was actually linked with my age. At first it was gonna be "155" because I was 15 (don't know where the extra 5 came from) but then decided to change it to "156" to spice it up a little. Plus I was almost 16 at the time so it worked and I guess it just stuck.

Abrom

• Tier 5
  • I came here for the free tears.
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
Re: What's the Meaning Behind your Screen Name?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 05:28:05 PM »
I can't remember EXACTLY how I came up with Abrom. I know I did it as a little kid, made it up on the spot, and it stuck with me. It was the name of my primary character when I played a MMO called Dark Ages (which was a horrible waste of my life), and I also decided to use the name for the primary character in a story/fan-fiction that I'm still writing (Claymore: Prayer and Claymore: Ceremony).
River: *Drops hacky sack*
River: "Can you throw this is as far as where Anya's at?"
John: "I can try."
John: "(Now I'll amaze her with my feat of strength.)"
John: *Throws hacky sack into ocean*
River: *Runs to cliff edge*
John: "River! Stop looking at my awesome throw and get away from that ledge!"
River: *Backs into John and silently sits down*
John: "(...Nailed it.)"

Roxaszu

• Tier 7
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 06:44:33 PM »
I used to like Roxas from KH 2 a lot (When the first time KH 2 come out)
And when I search it on the internet, There's a section where it's written The japanese name called "Roxaszu"
And then I start to use it.
Now, Whenever I want to make a new ID, I just use the same name, Not because I like it, But because I get used to it I guess...

The Flying Marlin

• Tier 5
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 07:03:53 PM »
During my freshman year in high school, I drew a lot of marlins in class. I also enjoy air travel. During my junior year in high school, we were studying Native American history in US History class, and we all had to come up with Native American-style names for ourselves. I picked "Flying Marlin" for myself. (One of my friends who is Korean made his name, "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" XD). When I made my Reddit account, I tried naming my account "FlyingMarlin", but it was taken by someone else, so I became "TheFlyingMarlin".

Erenussocrates

• Tier 5
  • Broke Reives' laptop :P
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 07:32:58 AM »
In my elementary school years, I've read Apology by Plato. And that was the first time I have ever heard of Socrates and I've really liked him and his dialogues in the book sounded inspiring, at least it did when I was that young lol. I had started using internet at a young age too, before highschool, I mean. So the combination of my name and socrates became my screen name, that was the only thing that I could have come up with at that time, even though it may sound lame afterwards. But it kinda stuck, I cannot think of any other name, and it's not necessary to change neither lmao. At least it's not the worst kind of name I guess, it could have been ErenusTheCoolBoi92 or something, that's what I would describe the worst, ugh lol.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 07:35:11 AM by Erenussocrates »
Videogame developers are not gods that anyone should worship. I hereby decide that is my top existential reason to prove that horrible, horrible misconception, because that is becoming annoyingly rampant in every corner of the internet.  They can deserve critism, or thrashing even. It doesn't even need to be constructive critism. And even if you are a free game developer doesn't mean community is your personal ego farm.

legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Pretzel Power!
    • legacyblade.com
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 09:32:38 AM »
In the early days when my writing was all terrible (the kind of bad writing that makes mediocre JRPGs look like masterpieces), I had a magical sword in my writing called "The Millennium Sword". I also had several other "Millennium Items". Then YuGiOh came out and I'm like "oh snap! I need a new name for the millennium sword." I spent a few days trying to come up with a sword name I thought sounded cool, but wasn't satisfied until I said "Legacyblade". I thought it was quite possibly the coolest name for a sword ever (and I still love it).

It didn't become my screen name for awhile though. I came up with something new for each web service. Omega122345, ThatGuyYouKnow222, and the ever easy to say quickly Links_Son. ;) It was annoying to always need underscores or numbers in my name. So when I made an account on my first RPG Maker Forum (Creation Assylum I think), I decided to go with Legacyblade since it wasn't taken.

There have been very few instances where the name was already taken, and I like the sound of "Legacyblade" still. So it's my go-to username. (Unless I'm doing gamedev on twitch, but that's a whole other long story :P)

Erenussocrates

• Tier 5
  • Broke Reives' laptop :P
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 05:45:46 PM »
Yeah, really, what about Pixel Bards btw? xD
Videogame developers are not gods that anyone should worship. I hereby decide that is my top existential reason to prove that horrible, horrible misconception, because that is becoming annoyingly rampant in every corner of the internet.  They can deserve critism, or thrashing even. It doesn't even need to be constructive critism. And even if you are a free game developer doesn't mean community is your personal ego farm.

Double A

• Tier 6
  • Poi
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 10:37:12 AM »
I don't know exactly how it came to be. It used to be stuff like PhantomHawk26 and MalaysianTiger, before I changed to AqilAlex. I guess I must have noticed the two A's in my name (and also a paper manufacturing company of the same name.....) and Double A was born.
Already tired with college life......

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • It's a-MAGE-ing
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 07:42:45 PM »
I wonder what the story is behind PoisonRabbit and EgotisticalRaven :P And some other particular members :)

GingerCorslette

• Tier 5
  • No comment.
  • Current Mood: alright alright
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 09:22:21 PM »
'Ginger Corslette' is from a silly story I wrote when I was in school (either high school or college).  It was the name of a fictional musical duo consisting of a couple which were the protagonists.

Breaking it down, 'ginger' came from Geri Halliwell (my fav Spice Girl), while 'corslette' was from...
Spoiler: show
a skin flick.  XD

Kracken Kitty

• Tier 7
  • Sleepy Insomniac
    • Deviantart
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 11:42:17 PM »
I laughed when people say, "RELEASE THE KRACKEN!"

And I love kitties. But lately I've been liking monkeys more since by my Chinese Zodiac, it's the year of the monkey this 2016.
Check out my art stuff! :D http://niorichi-art.tumblr.com/

Roxaszu

• Tier 7
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 03:07:28 AM »
I laughed when people say, "RELEASE THE KRACKEN!"
Is it from "Clash of the titans" , isn't it ? :D

And I love kitties. But lately I've been liking monkeys more since by my Chinese Zodiac, it's the year of the monkey this 2016.
I think I should change my name to be "Roxaszu Monkey" too then.
Spoiler: show

High five for the same year !

It'll be funny when it turn to be Kracken Rooster / chicken next year :p

Kracken Kitty

• Tier 7
  • Sleepy Insomniac
    • Deviantart
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 04:32:03 AM »
High five!!
Check out my art stuff! :D http://niorichi-art.tumblr.com/

Wyndfal

• Tier 6
  • Fifty Thousand Slaps
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 05:19:32 AM »
Ya'll have some pretty nice stories behind your names. I really enjoyed reading about them all. :)

Originally I wanted to choose the name "Winterfall" because it sounded cool to me, but then I started watching a certain TV series and saw the name "Winterfell" and thought: "Okay, maybe not this one!" XD
The idea of falling has always interested me, and snow and rain and meteor all fall from the sky, so I decided to stick with the suffix "fall". I also like wind and lightning and other air elements, and I wanted to make a name which would echo "rainfall", "snowfall" or "waterfall", so I thought of "windfall". But then I thought, how about I alter the spelling a little? So I swapped "i" and "y" and dropped the second "l" from the end. I still like how it looks and sounds, although I sometimes think about temporarily changing it just for the fun of it.  :seraismile:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 11:32:00 AM by Wyndfal »
I like jams.

* Recent Media