Author Topic: Are Skyrim's Stormcloaks a right-wing nationalist movement?  (Read 989 times)

EgotisticalRaven

• Leeeeroy Jeeeeenkins!
  • Tier 7
  • ایگوتیستیکال ریون
  • Current Mood: sad sad
Re: Are Skyrim's Stormcloaks a right-wing nationalist movement?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2018, 04:41:51 PM »
Aw, come on. We are not really having a discussion because while it seems you think my arguments are invalid, or at least you don't say that you agree with them (both of which are totally fine, maybe there are good reasons), you don't give counterarguments.

There are differences between individuals, but on a whole, between races in the real world, there's not much of a difference besides skin colour.
And my argument was that in the game, you can apparently pick between different species, not truly different races. In other words: "There are differences between individual sparrows and trouts, but on a whole, there's not much of a difference between them besides feathers."

Oh, and that was an awesome point to underline your argumentation:
[...] in the game, it categorises Khajiits as all thieves and drug users, the game doesn't challenge this, but instead it backs up that notion by making Khajiits literally better at stealing things! (As well as having almost every Khajiit NPC being a thief or a skooma user) And there are many more examples of that kind of stuff throughout the entire series.
If there's truly never a challenge to the idea that a whole group are criminals (which I cannot verify, as I don't know the games), well, yeah, that's oversimplifying things quite some.

It's been a while since I have played any Elder Scrolls game, so I probably shouldn't have commented on this thread anyway... Because I can barely remember anything about Skyrim...
Bruh, I don't even know the games ...

Even if they were supposed to be different species, I doubt that many people who are playing the game will pick up on the nuances of that difference, and will just compare the different 'species' in the game to being comparable to different races.

I wasn't giving counter arguments to some things, because you didn't quite represent my arguments correctly. Or do you mean I didn't counter the whole "Does that mean the games would NOT be racist if it didn't make any difference who you play" thing?

If so, here's a counter to that, it's not so much about the 'species' being all the same, it's more of, it's racist because of the certain 'species' being good at sneaking, charm, athletics, etc. In the game Khajiits can see in the dark and Argonians can breath underwater, and that's fine, because it's an actual biological thing, but the whole 'this group is more charming' thing, is racist garbage. It's about how they are different, not the fact that they are different. Like how POC have black skin, and that's a biological difference, that doesn't have any effect on much else, but saying that POC are more or less charming or something, would be a problem.

And yeah, pretty much what Fenzil said was pretty spot on.

I don't see your arguments as invalid or anything. If I don't respond to something properly, it may be that I didn't read it correctly and responded in a different way, or I didn't see it as the most important point. But, that being said, that I still find your arguments valid, it might make them more valid if you played some of the games, they are very fun!
PoisonRabbit is dead, the EgotisticalRaven ate it.

Sirius

• Tier 2
  • Current Mood: annoyed annoyed
Re: Are Skyrim's Stormcloaks a right-wing nationalist movement?
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2018, 01:41:36 PM »
But part of advancing as a society is the ability to critically analyze the media we produce. [...] But they are working within a particular culture, both the general Western culture and the traditional framework of fantasy stories that has standardized this kind of racial typology and made it an expected trope in any high fantasy story.

Right, if I may ask, did you come to this conclusion through this discussion or was this already known?

* Recent Media

Johnny and River

Views: 262
Posted by: chronotron12
in: To the Moon
Eva and Neil plushies

Views: 373
Posted by: kikikai
in: To the Moon