Author Topic: Will Quintessence TBV have an end? Someday?  (Read 4923 times)

Martyr

• Tier 2
Will Quintessence TBV have an end? Someday?
« on: December 13, 2015, 04:24:15 PM »
First of all sorry if this Thread is here but shouldnt be, just registered so Im new to the Forum. ;)

Honestly... This week I played it again for the second time after 2-3 years, and I see its still stuck on Chap 11, and I find that fact to be really sad.

I find this game REALLY REALLY UNDERRATED. Bloody hell, the writing is SO good. The pace of the story, the character evolution, the OSTs... Everything is in harmony in this game. I havent seen a dialogue or OST that sounded 'Off' at any moment.
I have played a lot of RPGs, and I have to say that many of the FFs have a worse overall writing than this game.
The whole series of events are SO well organized.

Q TBV is a game in which the events happen one after another, but you can see sometimes the characters have to STOP and THINK about everything, thats the only way someone can EVOLVE as a person, otherwise the evolution would seem forced.
I dont like Drama, not in my games, not in my books, not in my films,. And I guess you know what I mean by DRAMA. But in this game you can see all the sadness has a reason and the characters react to them in a very human way.

Every subplot is so well made... The Kardian and Kaire story, the Lunair and Huey/Joel story... So good.

I knew Freebird Games because of To the moon, but I have to say that Quintessence is WAY better in every single way, no matter how you compare it. I almost cried at Petal falling from the bridge Lmao.

Anyway: Please, does someone know if we will ever be able to play Chap 14 in the next... Three years for instance? I find this game really underrated and I wanna see its end.

If someone is close to the creators (Is it Kan gao only or more than one? I can see several names on the Credits but no idea how much effort did each of them put) and knew somethign about this please say it.

PS: No kidding, this is a MASTERPIECE, waay better than the Classic-Legendary RPGs famous around the world, and I guess you all know which Im talkin about.

Thx in advance! Martyr.

Edit: The Battle System is also nice, and I like the fact that it doesnt require Level grind.
I wish there were a bunch of more battles, but Im guessing the game is more about the story obviously.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 04:34:55 PM by Martyr »

Thunderbird

• 雷の鳥
  • Tier 7
  • Flame Haze
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: Will Quintessence TBV have an end? Someday?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 05:02:44 PM »
Hey Martyr,
Kan Gao currently is working on Finding Paradise.
There is an open source project dedicated to the next chapter of Quintessence, it's moving at snail's pace - but it's not dead. It's very unlikely that chapter 14 will be finished within the next 3 years, but the next chapter is quite possible.
Even if you are nothing more than a drop in a bucket...
Every drop leaves ripples.

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 07:15:17 PM »
Hey Martyr, welcome to the forums :) I quite enjoyed this game as well. I think it deserves way more popularity and attention than it actually has.

However, I'll have to agree with Thunderbird. I don't think chapter 14 will be out in the next 3 years but I'm confident that Kan will complete the next chapter after Finding Paradise.

Another thing, Kan once mentioned that he considered a reboot of Quintessence but that won't be possible till the current one is finished.

All we can do for now is wait.

just1witness

• Tier 2
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 05:06:02 AM »
I agree with the OP, this game is tragically underrated. I've lost count of how many RPG's I've played since the age of ten, and this one EASILY made the list of the best of the best. I can't believe this game has been out ten years and I've never played it, but on the other hand, I wish I hadn't found it until it was finished. Can't wait for the ending!!! :D   

P.S. No grinding = VERY GOOD!

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 02:41:45 AM »
I agree with the OP, this game is tragically underrated. I've lost count of how many RPG's I've played since the age of ten, and this one EASILY made the list of the best of the best. I can't believe this game has been out ten years and I've never played it, but on the other hand, I wish I hadn't found it until it was finished. Can't wait for the ending!!! :D   

P.S. No grinding = VERY GOOD!
Necro post!:P

The only reason Kan hasn't finished it yet is because when he began development of To the Moon, it became more promising (or something like that? Idk) and became a higher priority. However I heard after he finishes Finding Paradise, he's gonna turn his attention back towards Quintessence. Whether to finish it or just adds the next chapter is still unknown at this time. Some people say he'll finish it while I think he'll finish a chapter (or two if we're lucky) and work on episode 3 of TtM. Alternatively, he could release another couple of minisodes for the TtM fans while he finishes Quintessence but hey no one knows the future, right? ^^;

Boxter

• Tier 2
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 09:38:34 AM »
I liked all of his games.
To the moon, The bird story.

And of course this one, that I find as good as the other, even if it's not finish yet... xD
That goes without saying that's probably his best project because when we will have the conclusion, I'm pretty sure the whole package will be great.

I find particurlarly interesting that each character in that game are not heroes, but quite human with full characteristics and many faults. One could even say that these characters possess more flaws than qualities, that they do more errors than good deeds.

(of course, the two protagonist are difficult to put into categories in terms of good and evil, I would even say that if we try to categorise them, they lean more toward evil.)

Anyway, I gonna post some other time a better explanation of how much I enjoy his work.

wingdo

• Tier 2
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 07:44:27 AM »
I really hope we get a conclusions someday, I think it's one of the best (sortof) visual novels out there. I want a proper conclusion, I know the open source project means well.... but it seems to me like it's basically fanfiction tbh.

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 04:09:44 AM »
The open source team are mostly working on the maps for Prion. As for the fanfiction... that's in the media gallery :P

Reives said that he will work on Quintessence after Finding Paradise. Whether he plans to finish it there or not is a different story.

Thunderbird

• 雷の鳥
  • Tier 7
  • Flame Haze
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 06:50:53 AM »
I really hope we get a conclusions someday, I think it's one of the best (sortof) visual novels out there. I want a proper conclusion, I know the open source project means well.... but it seems to me like it's basically fanfiction tbh.

The main story (and music part) is not supposed to be opensource, Kan will do it himself (hopefully one day).

I'm the opensource mod, but I didn't contribute for quite a while due to being busy with my master thesis (plus I did some work on Finding Paradise). But I've just recently finished my studies and most of my work on FP is finished, so I think I will be able to improve some stuff from the Quintessence project soon.
Even if you are nothing more than a drop in a bucket...
Every drop leaves ripples.

Boxter

• Tier 2
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 10:19:19 AM »
Continue your good work then, keep at it, and bravo for your master thesis BTW.

* Recent Media

Lunair

Views: 69
Posted by: SI
in: Quintessenc­e - The Blighted Venom
x-mas art

Views: 586
Posted by: cydriex
in: Freebird Games - Fan Works
For River

Views: 907
Posted by: Animefox