Author Topic: Help Understanding Issy and River  (Read 2993 times)

TheSilent

• Tier 1
Help Understanding Issy and River
« on: December 20, 2015, 01:03:34 AM »
The title is a bit misleading.

What I really mean is "help understanding not understanding River and Issy."

Although that's just confusing sounding.

I am an author, and I fell in love with this game a long time ago. Recently I've been researching for a mystery/drama novel involving a character with aspegers. After running into some dead ends I remembered reading some rather touching personal accounts of players diagnosed with autism or aspergers, and was rather hoping for some help.

It's hard to figure out where to start though. Instead of simply asking "how do I convincingly write aspergers" or something like that I'd like if anyone could help me understand the dialogue between Issy and John. Or rather, explain what is their to NOT understand?

That sounded confusing. What I mean is that a lot of players seem to strongly empathize with Issy's description of hiding and acting. I've never been "diagnosed" with aspergers and doubt that I ever will, but I empathize very strongly with Issy's description. In other words, I thought the concept of hiding behind a mask, learning social skills, and acting to be something that everyone experiences. But this seems to fly right over Johns head. Are there people out there who didn't have to learn social skills? What is their to NOT understand about Rivers condition?

On a side note, I humbly apologize for anything that may seem insensitive in my post. I don't know the "proper" vocabulary when discussing autism spectrum and go off my gut instinct, and I struggle with some of the concepts
 Especially that of "diagnosis" something which to me implies wrongness rather than differentness.

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Current Mood: creative creative
Re: Help Understanding Issy and River
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 03:53:54 AM »
Well I don't have aspergers syndrome but I've been diagnosed to have traits of it. I didn't really relate to/empathize with the characters (maybe I just never really thought of it) but I did have socialization issues at times and find it hard to talk to others in a group. Then again, that could just be because I'm an introvert :reivsweat:

Sorry, what did you want again?

TheSilent

• Tier 1
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 10:20:26 AM »
Haha yeah I guess that was a little vague. I'm trying to research Asperger from a personal point of view for a character I'm writing. So I was just looking for any insights.

The point of bringing up the whole Issy and Johnny conversation is that I find it hard tell where Asperger and non-Asperger start and end. For example, I have an acquaintance of mine has tested as more extreme in the Asperger spectrum, but I find it difficult to pinpoint anything particular about him. From my point of view he just seems like an obsessive guy who has trouble communicating his thoughts, something I can relate too. Aside from the fact that he gets frustrated quickly in conversations and apologizes often for perceived rudeness (something I think he may have acquired from conversing with more easily offended people) I can't really pin anything down that would make him stand out.

So where is the line? Why is it that River and Issy's struggles seem more salient to the Asperger and Autism spectrum players? Personally I can relate to their dialogue and struggles very, VERY well. Not that I am an awkward person, but in my mind everyone who seems socially adept is in a sense, acting. I am a very social person, and I've been told I'm good at reading people and pinpointing the reason they do things or feel a certain way, but this is something I learned from observing. Being able to glide and mingle through crowds is also a learned attribute, and as Issy states, it feels very much like acting.

Aesoburne

• Tier 1
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 03:18:03 AM »
Want to get some fun from this forum?

KeanuReeves

• Tier 1
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 12:24:45 AM »
 it that River and Issy's struggles seem more salient to the As

* Recent Media

Johnny and River