Author Topic: Quintessence: A Tale of Lies, Deceit, Tricks, And More Lies - SPOILERS!  (Read 7706 times)

Abrom

• Tier 5
  • I came here for the free tears.
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
Re: Quintessence: A Tale of Lies, Deceit, Tricks, And More Lies - SPOILERS!
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2016, 07:59:32 AM »
Is there anyone who thinks that the suicide attempt is fitting and called for?
River: *Drops hacky sack*
River: "Can you throw this is as far as where Anya's at?"
John: "I can try."
John: "(Now I'll amaze her with my feat of strength.)"
John: *Throws hacky sack into ocean*
River: *Runs to cliff edge*
John: "River! Stop looking at my awesome throw and get away from that ledge!"
River: *Backs into John and silently sits down*
John: "(...Nailed it.)"

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2016, 02:44:37 PM »
We've already covered this subject. There's a post I left on the last page explaining my point of view on it. It may have been rather indirect but it still answered the question... I think.

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2016, 06:33:32 PM »
In my opinion suicide attempts aren't ever fitting or called for. But it still happens all the time. It's not a logical thing. Everyone who kills themselves have different reasons for it. But I don't find it even slightly unbelievable that an impulsive emotional guy like Reiver would attempt it after he just found out the woman he loved was dead.

Good idea for him to do it? No. Plausible? Yes.

And Lunair giving him the drug was obviously a pretty stupid and selfish move on her part. It's unclear exactly what her feelings towards Reiver are, but he's important to her in some way. And with Seria gone, she knew Reiver had no reason to keep her around. So Lunair did something impulsive to keep him from abandoning her: she forced him to love her.

Also, you have to keep in mind these are teenagers. I don't think their age is explicitly stated, but I peg Lunair around 16 and Reiver around 19. Emotions are more intense when you're in your teens, and you also don't have as much experience. So even if you know what the most logical or best way to handle a situation is, you may not have the self control to follow through.

Abrom

• Tier 5
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2016, 12:14:09 PM »
In my opinion suicide attempts aren't ever fitting or called for. But it still happens all the time. It's not a logical thing. Everyone who kills themselves have different reasons for it. But I don't find it even slightly unbelievable that an impulsive emotional guy like Reiver would attempt it after he just found out the woman he loved was dead.

Good idea for him to do it? No. Plausible? Yes.

And Lunair giving him the drug was obviously a pretty stupid and selfish move on her part. It's unclear exactly what her feelings towards Reiver are, but he's important to her in some way. And with Seria gone, she knew Reiver had no reason to keep her around. So Lunair did something impulsive to keep him from abandoning her: she forced him to love her.

Also, you have to keep in mind these are teenagers. I don't think their age is explicitly stated, but I peg Lunair around 16 and Reiver around 19. Emotions are more intense when you're in your teens, and you also don't have as much experience. So even if you know what the most logical or best way to handle a situation is, you may not have the self control to follow through.
For me, from an emotional or reasonable standpoint, I couldn't see it as understandable. So I'm just trying to make sense of it. The more people that can explain it, the better of an idea it'll seem to me.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2016, 12:25:29 PM »
Hm okay, so first of all, I think it was more dramatic than it should have been for my current taste of storytelling, and if I were to do that part of the story again I wouldn't have gone that route.

But if I were to try to justify it, or at least try to make sense of it: Reivier's state there wasn't just from "simply" "losing his wife" -- it was everything that represented to him at that point, and it was what he made his whole mission to be even going as far as shortening his life span, going on routes against his will and principles -- all leading to an ultimate failure, atop of losing the one he loved and grew up with. Combined with the adrenaline of the moment and the sequences leading up to it -- well, even in real world, there are people who've committed the act for far less, questionable mental states aside.

Whether you'd personally agree with his action or the extent of it aside, does that make sense in the general direction?

Abrom

• Tier 5
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2016, 12:35:49 PM »
Hm okay, so first of all, I think it was more dramatic than it should have been for my current taste of storytelling, and if I were to do that part of the story again I wouldn't have gone that route.

But if I were to try to justify it, or at least try to make sense of it: Reivier's state there wasn't just from "simply" "losing his wife" -- it was everything that represented to him at that point, and it was what he made his whole mission to be even going as far as shortening his life span, going on routes against his will and principles -- all leading to an ultimate failure, atop of losing the one he loved and grew up with. Combined with the adrenaline of the moment and the sequences leading up to it -- well, even in real world, there are people who've committed the act for far less, questionable mental states aside.

Whether you'd personally agree with his action or the extent of it aside, does that make sense in the general direction?
It's nice to see that you're humble, even when it comes to this. I can pretty much understand everything you stated, EXCEPT the part about the adrenaline of the moment. In my experience, it's always been about grieving combined with length of time, and the length of time just wasn't there. Even if they are at the ages that Legacyblade stated, it's still too sudden of a reaction. But hey, you said you would do it differently if given the chance, and that's a heavy statement. I'm glad you could see my side of it as well :)

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2016, 04:03:59 PM »
But hey, you said you would do it differently if given the chance, and that's a heavy statement.
Reives did say a while ago that he was considering remaking it but that may not be possible for a couple years atleast (or until he finishes Quintessence and/or the To the Moon series).

Atleast a remake will promise a Steam release and more popularity this game deserves :)

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2016, 04:30:12 PM »
There have been people close to me who have tried to kill themselves before. For one of them, it was JUST AFTER something horrible happened to them. Another it was after months upon months of being depressed over something bad happened to them. I think it just comes down to the person.

Though I think if Reives redid this scene, it'd be a lot better. Quintessence tends towards the over-dramatic sometimes. (Even so, it's still one of my favorite games ever. I don't mind melodrama, it's a big part of what draws me to anime)

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2016, 07:18:29 PM »
(Even so, it's still one of my favorite games ever. I don't mind melodrama, it's a big part of what draws me to anime)
Me too and I'm not too big of an anime fan myself.

I think if I got into animation and animated this scene, I'd make it so he's about to end his life (like raise a knife or sharp object above his head, aimed at his wrist) but the power of the "love drug" kicks in just before hand.

... Just a thought.

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2016, 07:32:28 PM »
Or he could toss the knife away in disgust and fall to his knees before the love drug kicks in.

But I'm sure Reives knows the characters better than us and can make a better revision to the scene than any of us ;)

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2016, 08:39:38 PM »
Or he could toss the knife away in disgust and fall to his knees before the love drug kicks in.
Ooh, that's a good idea to consider :)

Abrom

• Tier 5
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2016, 10:08:06 AM »
There have been people close to me who have tried to kill themselves before. For one of them, it was JUST AFTER something horrible happened to them. Another it was after months upon months of being depressed over something bad happened to them. I think it just comes down to the person.

Though I think if Reives redid this scene, it'd be a lot better. Quintessence tends towards the over-dramatic sometimes. (Even so, it's still one of my favorite games ever. I don't mind melodrama, it's a big part of what draws me to anime)
Well, if you know someone who tried immediately after an event with no prior indication, then I guess I can't really argue against that. It must just be a different mindset that I can't tap into. At least I know it exists now.

Wanderer1

• Tier 2
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2016, 11:36:17 PM »
Although it's been quite a while since the last answer in this thread, I would like to say few words on the topic.

Some people doubted the appropriateness of Reivier's attempt to end his life. As for me, I didn't feel that it was "out of the story". When I first played "Quintessence", for me it was all of a sudden, yes, but I think that in the current version as it is this event contributes a lot to the plot. Firstly, it develops Reiviers character. Really, he had his own reasons, even if it wasn't the right way. I mean, he sacrificed everything in attempt to save his wife: took the Quintessence pill, ventured on a journey to the hostile country with a person, whom he hated and couldn't trust entirely, who kidnapped his beloved one. He patiently beared all Lunair's mockery. Here we really can see that Serai was the dearest person for him, the person he grew up with. The moment of suicide attempt became for him a culmination of the last months of worries and struggling. This scene tells a lot to the player without any words. There must be much behind it. It is really a pitty that players see so few moments with Reivier and Serai together that would show there bond in early chapters. For me, I think, it was enough to understand. But maybe it is one of the main reasons why there are more fans of Lunair than those people, who show sympathy for Serai.

Also, I need to say that even few years later after playing this game I still love it and would be eager to play it again in case it is finished. :fezesarecool:

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2016, 12:25:08 PM »
I think Wanderer1 summed it up nicely. :) Well put.

And you should try replaying it sometime. It's fun to go back and see everything again after not experiencing it for awhile.

Wanderer1

• Tier 2
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2016, 06:43:56 AM »
Legacyblade
Thanks.

Sometimes I listen to the wonderful tracks from there. But yes, I think I will replay it one day. :)

* Recent Media

Lunair

Views: 82
Posted by: SI
in: Quintessenc­e - The Blighted Venom
x-mas art

Views: 596
Posted by: cydriex
in: Freebird Games - Fan Works
For River

Views: 916
Posted by: Animefox