Author Topic: Super Donuts!  (Read 3614 times)

nicktendowii

• Tier 2
  • Hello, Nicktendowii here!
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Super Donuts!
« on: October 17, 2015, 09:45:54 AM »
Hello All. I haven't been on here in a while! I'm back to show off a new game i've been working on for a few months now.
This game is a fun 2D Platformer game called Super Donuts.

As the name suggests you play as a Donut... A Super Donut!

I've been documenting my progress in a blog, you can find that here: http://nickwdesign.blogspot.co.uk/

I've just today got it working on iPhone so one day all going well it will be on the app store for you all to enjoy! For now though here's a very early video of it and a playable demo on my website! http://www.nicktendowiiu.com/#!super-donuts-demo/c1zkp (It's come on a lot since then!)

Super Donuts Gameplay Update 29 09 15

And a few screenshots to finish this post off. Hope you all like what i've been working on! I'm so happy to get back into the game development after slacking off for a while!

Let me know what you think! I've got loads of ideas and things I want to include in the game but any thoughts or suggestions will be much appreciated :)

Thunderbird

• 雷の鳥
  • Tier 7
  • Flame Haze
Re: Super Donuts!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 11:27:00 AM »
2D platformers is a genre with a lot of competiton, so it might be a good idea to think about an unique game mechanic, so your game stands out in at least one aspect (make sure the basic idea is fun to play and try to buld up on it).
E.g. you seem to toy around with the idea of different donut coatings as powerups. What if the the ground you roll on would change the coating and your attributes, so you would always have to consider the ground while going through the level.

Jump&Run is a genre I really like, but I have also played lot's of them, so it's not easy to impress me.
Seeing from your mindmap, you are aware that you will need a lot of assets.

I like the giant donut rings in the background :)
Even if you are nothing more than a drop in a bucket...
Every drop leaves ripples.

nicktendowii

• Tier 2
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 12:19:16 PM »
2D platformers is a genre with a lot of competiton, so it might be a good idea to think about an unique game mechanic, so your game stands out in at least one aspect (make sure the basic idea is fun to play and try to buld up on it).
E.g. you seem to toy around with the idea of different donut coatings as powerups. What if the the ground you roll on would change the coating and your attributes, so you would always have to consider the ground while going through the level.

Jump&Run is a genre I really like, but I have also played lot's of them, so it's not easy to impress me.
Seeing from your mindmap, you are aware that you will need a lot of assets.

I like the giant donut rings in the background :)

Thanks, I know the platformer is kind of a crowded market... I really need to focus on what i've already got and make it as fun to play as possible... but i'm not trying to reinvent the platforming wheel so to speak XD

I've been writing loads of ideas down just need to decide which ones to go with and stick to it. Hopefully i'll make a game that will excite people I don't want my game to just drown on the app store along with all the other generic platformers :(

nicktendowii

• Tier 2
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 03:50:41 PM »
Hey Guys, I've got some awesome updates to share with you all about my new game Super Donuts. Check out the link below :) I've taken your comments on board and hopefully it's a little more unique now...

http://nickwdesign.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/02-11-15-updates.html

nicktendowii

• Tier 2
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 03:34:20 PM »
Hi Guys! Sorry I haven't been very active on here! I'm usually over at the Supershigi forums instead! Anyway... I'm very excited to say that i've just launched a Kickstarter for Super Donuts!
Super Donuts Kickstarter is Live!!

I've been thinking about this for a while and finally decided to go ahead and launch the Kickstarter!

CLICK HERE

Please support if possible or share with your friends or anyone you think may be interested!

I'm planning to make updates throughout the duration of the Kickstarter so check back for more videos and levels!

Thanks everyone!

Nick 

! No longer available

Mobbstar

• Tier 3
    • Klei Forums profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 02:09:08 AM »
Nice! I like how simple the controls are, but isn't the zoom factor a bit too wide for mobile? From the gameplay perspective, it looks like a good game to play on the train or such.  :)
You can contact me faster via Discord or Steam. Ask for my account name if you care.

EgotisticalRaven

• Leeeeroy Jeeeeenkins!
  • Tier 7
  • ایگوتیستیکال ریون
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 02:36:15 AM »
Oooo, nice! I love platformers! I don't really have a phone though, soo.... And I am not a big fan of donuts, too rich for me....

But it still looks super cool!
PoisonRabbit is dead, the EgotisticalRaven ate it.

nicktendowii

• Tier 2
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 01:47:11 PM »
Nice! I like how simple the controls are, but isn't the zoom factor a bit too wide for mobile? From the gameplay perspective, it looks like a good game to play on the train or such.  :)

Thanks! I have tried to keep the levels short and sweet... no pun intended.

Not sure what you mean about the zoom factor? I've played the game on an iPhone 6 and 7Plus and it looks great on both.

nicktendowii

• Tier 2
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 01:47:28 PM »
Exciting news! You can now play a demo for Super Donuts:
http://www.nicktendowiiu.com/super-donuts-demo

The demo is just to give you a feel for how the game plays, the music, sprites and levels are all early and will be improved for the final release!

I hope you enjoy! Any feedback would be great, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it!

Mobbstar

• Tier 3
    • Klei Forums profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 02:19:18 PM »
It is very fun to play and easy to understand! However, my screen is a bit small, so the small button in the menu isn't readable, and the bird droppings are barely visible. Also, I think there's some collision-sound problems in general, especially noticable with the jump platforms and spiky donuts in the first stage.

Overall, I don't regret playing :D 
You can contact me faster via Discord or Steam. Ask for my account name if you care.

nicktendowii

• Tier 2
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 04:12:00 PM »
It is very fun to play and easy to understand! However, my screen is a bit small, so the small button in the menu isn't readable, and the bird droppings are barely visible. Also, I think there's some collision-sound problems in general, especially noticable with the jump platforms and spiky donuts in the first stage.

Overall, I don't regret playing :D

Thanks for taking the time to play it! I'm glad you don't regret it! I'm worried I didn't pick very exciting levels for the demo now though...

Also, yes I know theres a few sound issues  i'm looking into a way of fixing them. seems like the sound gets triggered a few times when you come in contact with the spring? I don't like the sound effects much anyway so might scrap them and replace with some others entirely... The spikes are only placeholders for where some kind of floating enemy will be! :D

nicktendowii

• Tier 2
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 02:14:41 PM »
Thanks everyone that's backed my game so far on Kickstarter! I was looking back on my old game dev blog and found these old pics and video from the game in 2015! Enjoy! and don't laugh... much! >.< https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/letsplayretrogames/super-donuts-a-new-16-bit-style-platformer-game/posts/1778317

nicktendowii

• Tier 2
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 02:54:19 PM »
New gameplay video. Still early sprites and the enemies belong in the forest but I hope it gives you a good idea of the gameplay! :D
Super Donuts - World 3-2 Gameplay

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/letsplayretrogames/super-donuts-a-new-16-bit-style-platformer-game

Also, looking at my signature! I miss making Quantum Shift, maybe i'll go back to it one day! :)

nicktendowii

• Tier 2
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 04:55:40 PM »
Not long left on the kickstarter now!

Made another "making of" video:

http://youtu.be/Ysnl-Kl6Un4

* Recent Media

x-mas art

Views: 324