Author Topic: You want to help translating the game ?  (Read 7394 times)

miracle.flame

• Tier 2
Re: You want to help translating the game ?
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 05:06:41 AM »
Nope.

Is DATA and GRAPHICS all that's contained in To the Moon.rgssad which is now missing?

EDIT:
Actually this is what happened with Polski files.
When I use English files you've sent I get different error about steam_api.dll now that would make sense because I don't have steam version but GOG version of the game.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 05:11:53 AM by miracle.flame »

Eli

• Tier 7
  • Det. Meddlesome
  • Current Mood: tired tired
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2014, 07:21:26 AM »
The Polski package was made for Mac & Linux, it was not expected to work on Windows.

And the steam_api.dll was needed because I sent you the steam version.
Now I have sent you the Gog version which should just work.

miracle.flame

• Tier 2
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2014, 07:25:13 AM »
Gosh! I can't believe it actually works! Thanks for your support Ali.
How come there are differences in actual game data when it comes to release source? Are the completed translations distributed in several versions?

Eli

• Tier 7
  • Det. Meddlesome
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 08:26:43 AM »
You're welcome :)

(Feel free to skip to the bold text).
The issue is with the design of RPG Maker XP itself, as far as I know you can't have different translations that share the same scripts and graphics and differ on dialogues, therefore you have to make different rgssad archives (which is actually an archive containing Data & Graphics folders) for each language.
It gets worse when you want to release your game with DRM, without DRM, with Steam achievements support, etc.

I think English version of To The Moon has these different versions:
- The one that you can buy directly from Freebird, payments are processed via Plimus. This version has/used to have DRM (I may be wrong about this, this is what people used to say about it when Gog version worked on Wine and the Freebird version did not).
- The one you can buy from Gog (and other DRM-free stores) which is DRM-free.
- The one you can buy from Steam, which includes Steam API for achievement support.
There is an Origin version too that I do not know if it is different from those above.

Mac & Linux versions of the game are only available in English, currently only sold via Steam, do not include Steam API support and dependency, lack achievement support and are DRM-free :)

Now to complicate things further, we have official translations available for the Steam version on Windows, as far as I know those translations do not include Steam API/achievement support and are DRM-free.
I have made a Mac/Linux compatible version of some of those translations and I'm planning to provide the rest too.

I have said all that for future reference, what you really need to know:
You can base your translation on the Gog version I sent you. When your translation is complete, you can send your translation to Reives to include it on Steam page, and you can send it to me to make it compatible with Mac/Linux.
So you don't have to worry about all the different versions :)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 09:21:35 AM by Ali »

Dev J Chand

• Tier 5
  • Wacky Cynic
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2014, 08:33:49 AM »

- The one that you can buy directly from Freebird, payments are processed via Plimus. This version has/used to have DRM.

Really? Why would Kan want DRM for his products? In that case, if he doesn't lift it, I'm buying A Bird Story from GOG.com.

miracle.flame

• Tier 2
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2014, 08:36:33 AM »
Again, thank you for the exhausting explanation. I believe that is really all I need to complete the translation into usable form. I'll be back when I'm done.

Eli

• Tier 7
  • Det. Meddlesome
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2014, 09:19:16 AM »
Really? Why would Kan want DRM for his products? In that case, if he doesn't lift it, I'm buying A Bird Story from GOG.com.
This is what people used to say when the Gog version worked on Wine and the Freebird version did not.
In my own experience (last year, around the time I joined Freebird forums) the Demo version downloaded from Freebird used to crash with Wine while the full version bought from Gog did not crash, and people said it was because of some sort of DRM.
It may be a myth so I have updated my post to add uncertainty to it.
Kan has allowed me to freely distribute Translation packages for Mac/Linux versions, so even if he has used DRM in the past, I find it very unlikely that he will use it in the future.

Quote from: miracle.flame
Again, thank you for the exhausting explanation. I believe that is really all I need to complete the translation into usable form. I'll be back when I'm done.
You're welcome, good luck with your translation project  :)

Eli

• Tier 7
  • Det. Meddlesome
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2014, 11:02:15 AM »
I wonder if I have just spread a myth  :reivsweat:
---
As this topic is popular with translators, I think it is the right place to post the link to my Mac/Linux port of Dreamaker XP 4.9.1:
https://app.box.com/s/uh2lxdue99u7v5y9enhj

A Mac or Linux user should:
- Extract the DreaMaker_XP-v4.9-OSX-Linux.zip.
- Put your Data folder inside the Dreamaker folder (beside files such as Dreamaker.sh).
- Open Terminal (or gterm or konsole or any other terminal you use on Linux).
- cd to the Directory of Dreamaker, for example:
Code: [Select]
cd /Users/ali/Desktop/DreaMaker_XP-v4.9.1-OSX-Linux- Run the Dreamaker.sh shell script:
Code: [Select]
sh Dreamaker.sh
After that it should just work :)

Credits:
DreaMaker was created by King Kadelfek (Marc-Antoine Kruzik).
Dreamaker is open source and modding it is allowed:
You can make your own version of the software, the rules are the same than making
for Minecraft :
- you can't sell your mod
- the original author can pick up an idea / code from your mod
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 11:10:14 AM by Ali »

fay_envoy

• Tier 3
  • Fay is fay forever.
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2014, 04:42:13 AM »
A good news for use it.
U can add this resource to this topic:
http://freebirdgames.com/forum/index.php?topic=3397.0

Eli

• Tier 7
  • Det. Meddlesome
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2014, 06:15:27 AM »
A good news for use it.
U can add this resource to this topic:
http://freebirdgames.com/forum/index.php?topic=3397.0

I guess Mods should decide on whether it helps to add the Mac/Linux port to the first post of the topic you mentioned :)

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2014, 11:12:47 AM »
That's fantastic, Ali. :) Thanks so much for making the mod possible!

As for the DRM thing, it was more of a logistics issue than actual DRMness when it was implemented -- the system itself is pretty much a dummy, where Plimus sends a code that can be used forever, on infinite machines, without web activation or any of that.

Still, DRM of any kind's probably gonna go from future games here though. With TtM too, it's kind of overdue -- I need to talk to the Humble folks to get it onto the Humble Store, and then I'll remove the Plimus link and replace it with that (which is DRM-free by default).

Speaking of which, Plimus is terrrrible nowadays; if anyone's looking for a transaction helper, try BMT Micro or others instead. :P

Eli

• Tier 7
  • Det. Meddlesome
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2014, 11:42:50 AM »
My pleasure, Reives :)
Thanks for the explaining the DRM stuff.

fay_envoy

• Tier 3
  • Fay is fay forever.
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2014, 08:20:17 AM »
That's fantastic, Ali. :) Thanks so much for making the mod possible!

As for the DRM thing, it was more of a logistics issue than actual DRMness when it was implemented -- the system itself is pretty much a dummy, where Plimus sends a code that can be used forever, on infinite machines, without web activation or any of that.

Still, DRM of any kind's probably gonna go from future games here though. With TtM too, it's kind of overdue -- I need to talk to the Humble folks to get it onto the Humble Store, and then I'll remove the Plimus link and replace it with that (which is DRM-free by default).

Speaking of which, Plimus is terrrrible nowadays; if anyone's looking for a transaction helper, try BMT Micro or others instead. :P
Wow, the author of To The Moon comes out!
If possible, U can read the post I actually post at first.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 02:21:48 AM by fay_envoy »

* Recent Media

x-mas art

Views: 399
Posted by: cydriex
in: Freebird Games - Fan Works
For River

Views: 651
Posted by: Animefox
in: To the Moon