Author Topic: Crazy thoughts [TtM spoilers]  (Read 962 times)

FirmlyGroundedAspie

• Tier 2
Crazy thoughts [TtM spoilers]
« on: May 26, 2017, 10:21:31 AM »
OK, so the recent announcement contains these words:
Unlike any other potential future episodes in its series, Finding Paradise and To the Moon are meant to be two sides of the a coin, to thoroughly tread both perspectives of a certain theme that the narrative deals with.

Now given that I'm an aspie, and TtM was about a neurotypical patient and an aspie wife, so maybe in this installment we are going to see an aspie patient and a neurotypical wife. Why am I bringing this up now? Well, we've heard this "other side of the coin" thing from Kan for a while; the new thing that I haven't seen until now is the part I've bolded above. Whereas immediately after TtM, it made sense to consider autism a done theme (but a very good one, thanks Kan!), I'm not so sure now.

Such a reversal of roles might also clarify the topic discussed here, for example - why River did not tell Johnny about their childhood. My own take on that, by the way, is that we are watching the events unfold through the memory of a neurotypical. There is the distinct possibility that she tried to tell him (maybe several times!) but he didn't believe her, and so it was not significant enough for him to hold on to the memory. Although the new patient is not related, perhaps we'll have a similar situation where an aspie patient tries to tell a neurotypical wife about some significant event rather than vice versa.

Then again, all of this could be wrong.

FirmlyGroundedAspie

• Tier 2
Re: Crazy thoughts [TtM spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 06:04:55 PM »
Since nobody has replied to my topic yet, I'm just gonna continue my ramblings like it's my own private thread, heh.
Another theory that popped into my mind as I was reading an old TtM thread is that in TtM we have a protagonist who wants something but doesn't know why. Maybe in FP we have a protagonist who knows why he wants to change his memories, but not which changes he wants. Too commonplace and banal perhaps, too much at odds with the title?

EatingToastYay

• Tier 5
  • You are what you eat.
    • My DeviantArt
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: Crazy thoughts [TtM spoilers]
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 07:25:45 AM »
Honestly, I don't think I'm one who should be making speculations about FP, haha-- been trying to hold onto Kan's reminder not to have expectations! But these are all interesting theories. I do remember on the website description that Colin wants "the same thing as everyone else", so maybe your last theory could be correct? It might be a seemingly simple wish that turns out to be complicated. Whereas in TtM it was a seemingly inexplicable wish that turned out to have a simple motivation.
I think an important step would be to figure out which theme he will only continue to explore in FP and then stop. IMO the impact of communication definitely ran through TtM in the way that River and John had so much trouble with it, but I think that the doctors also have that theme between them, and since they're carrying us through the whole series it would not end at FP. There was also the question of reality vs. illusion and which one, in the end, is really more valid. An illusion is fake, but grants happiness. Reality can be difficult and sad, but does it have more meaning because it was real?
meep meep im a beep

* Recent Media

x-mas art

Views: 313
Posted by: cydriex
in: Freebird Games - Fan Works
For River

Views: 555
Posted by: Animefox
in: To the Moon