Author Topic: A few questions about To The Moon  (Read 1260 times)

raikenque

• Tier 1
A few questions about To The Moon
« on: January 10, 2018, 03:14:11 PM »
-ENDGAME SPOILERS!!-

Hi everyone. I know that its been asked before but i couldn't find any answer that satisfied my thoughts. So here it goes

After Eva "moving" river from the school, its after that night when they first meet at the carnival. So why John doesn't go back to the same spot at the carnaval next year? We see them driving but are we just to assume that his mother didn't want to go to the carnaval that year?

Or why John introduce himself to River at NASA like its their first meeting? Since Joey is not dead, he has his memories and i think with drive to go to the moon to meet the girl you love would help you remember her at NASA wouldn't it?

StarwindD6

• Tier 2
  • Everything's alright so long as the beacon shines
  • Current Mood: alright alright
Re: A few questions about To The Moon
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 03:56:17 PM »
With the former...You've got a point. I don't know why he didn't still go every year.

But the latter, think about it. By the time Johnny's gone through school, college, and grown up to be an astronaut their first meeting was a long, long time ago. Decades, probably. They only met for a brief moment at the carnival and can be said to barely know eachother, and Johnny probably couldn't even remember her face anymore. I think it's reasonable that they acted like that.

raikenque

• Tier 1
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 04:50:24 AM »
Hmm. It may be. I just think that if a desire to meet the girl i met decades ago pushed me to go to the moon for decades, i would at least be suspicious about river being her. since she has a pretty distinctive hairstyle

Sun

• Tier 6
  • Person of personness
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 11:33:44 AM »
Oh, we just had a thread like that ;)
I'll reiterate a few points.
After Eva "moving" river from the school, its after that night when they first meet at the carnival. So why John doesn't go back to the same spot at the carnaval next year? We see them driving but are we just to assume that his mother didn't want to go to the carnaval that year?
Because he still (even in his new memory-life) doesn't remember their meeting. All he remembers is that he needs to go to the moon, and that that's very important.

Or why John introduce himself to River at NASA like its their first meeting? Since Joey is not dead, he has his memories and i think with drive to go to the moon to meet the girl you love would help you remember her at NASA wouldn't it?
That's just the point, he doesn't remember her, at least not consciously. River is someone he only subconsciously remembers; his memory of their first meeting is still "fuzzily unlinked".

It's important to notice that the doctors never repaired Johnny's memory, because they can't do that. Johnny's early memories are in a damaged part of his brain. To make him remember those, they would have to copy them from the damaged part into an undamaged one. Essentially, they would write new data onto his brain.
But they say at the beginning that they can't just write new stuff into his brain, they can only provide a sort of framework where a new life can play out and the rest has to come from the patient.

Those two events you describe are meant to show exactly that - that Johnny's memory is not repaired and he doesn't remember the exact details of the meeting. And the rest where he is super determined to make it to the moon shows that on a subconscious level, he is aware of that meeting, the way he was his whole life. That was why he approached River in school and why he contacted Sigmund after her death because something inside him told him there was a place where he could be with her again.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 11:38:08 AM by Sun »

* Recent Media