Author Topic: I want to write a fic but all I have is an ethical dilemma?  (Read 897 times)

Marzo

• Tier 2
I want to write a fic but all I have is an ethical dilemma?
« on: December 16, 2017, 10:26:03 PM »
Hello everyone! I just played FP and dived into TtM as well, and I am totally in love with this whole world and especially the SigCorp concept. I think the implications of the whole thing are really interesting. I wasn't sure where else to put this, but since it's related to fan works, I thought I'd try here. Basically, I have an idea, and I was wondering if anyone found it interesting enough to help me develop it into a story?

A hypothetical scenario occurred to me that I really like the idea of exploring; essentially, someone is happily married, but in their past had a fiance/spouse who had died. Neil and Eva realize that for the patient to die happy, they have to choose between erasing the memories of the person entirely (even though they are the source of some of said patient's happiest memories) or stopping the person from dying, even though that would erase all memories of the patient's real, very happy marriage.

My problem is...that's kind of all I've got. I guess what I'm wondering is a) Is this a good idea, or maybe too similar to erasing River in TtM? b) If anyone likes the idea, if they might be interested in helping me plot it. Not writing it or anything, just developing the initial idea, as maybe a beta?

(Also, first post! :D Nice to meet you all!)

Multiuniverse

• Tier 2
  • The Chronicler of The Winds
  • Current Mood: sad sad
Re: I want to write a fic but all I have is an ethical dilemma?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 10:40:47 PM »
Wouldn’t it be possible to keep the spouse from dying AND keep the patient’s memory of the happy marriage?
“My story is done, but it keeps on starting over. In the end it will hover like an invisible note, embedded in the wind that ceaselessly blows from the sea. It will exist in the raindrops falling on the parched earth, and in the end it will exist in the air we breath” - Henning Mankell (Chronicler of The Winds)

Marzo

• Tier 2
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 11:27:59 PM »
Well, my initial thought was that there were two spouses; the patient remarried after the first one died. So presumably if the first spouse didn't die the patient would have never married the second one?

Multiuniverse

• Tier 2
  • The Chronicler of The Winds
  • Current Mood: sad sad
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 01:47:47 AM »
Also wouldn’t the patient also be the one who decides what their wish is? Like whether they want to remove the second spouse to prolonge the first or to remove the first spouse to get straight to the second.
“My story is done, but it keeps on starting over. In the end it will hover like an invisible note, embedded in the wind that ceaselessly blows from the sea. It will exist in the raindrops falling on the parched earth, and in the end it will exist in the air we breath” - Henning Mankell (Chronicler of The Winds)

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 03:11:16 AM »
This is a good idea. Sadly I have nothing to add atm.

Welcome to the forums though :)

StarwindD6

• Tier 2
  • Everything's alright so long as the beacon shines
  • Current Mood: alright alright
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 08:14:28 AM »
Maybe you'll have more to work with if you make your own characters-Who can but don't have to be Sigmund employees. Maybe a competing corporation or something, because this way you can make up a new method of how the machine works to accomodate your story.

That's actually what I'm doing right now, although it's a WIP and I still have a lot to work out.

EDIT: And as long as you keep TtM in mind and make some efforts to keep to your own thing the two stories can still be worlds apart. But just be careful tho. Since you just played the game you could subconsciously write similarly to it, especially since you liked it so much. Happens to me a lot.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 08:22:14 AM by StarwindD6 »

Marzo

• Tier 2
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 10:08:18 AM »
Thank you everyone! I'll definitely take that advice.

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 02:37:31 AM »
Also, try writing down your ideas and plot points and how they'll play out. You might get more ideas as you go. Happens to me all the time XD

* Recent Media

Johnny and River

Views: 771
Posted by: chronotron12
in: To the Moon
Eva and Neil plushies

Views: 799
Posted by: kikikai
in: To the Moon